Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #11 
Pitluvs

How does one know someone knows nothing about a Betta by looking at them? If I were walking down the street with my 4 yr old son while he was holding a Betta, could one assume I know nothing about them? hahah You're so silly Bresn :P :P
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #12 
Bresn

Son:(Goes on about fish's name)

Mom:Ok.....Anything you want...
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would of chased her down and informed them about proper fish care around here not many ignorant pet keepers except fiddler crabs everyone puts them in freshwater it is so sad.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #14 
Pitluvs

Yup, and if someone did that to me, I'd let them have an earful. Ya's gotta be careful, especially with Moms. We don't take much from people, let alone strangers. I'm just saying, not nice to judge someone based on looks. She may have been someone having a bad day and just told her kid whatever they wanted so she could get home lol But on the other hand, yes she could have been someone who knew little, or someone who probably joined this forum shortly after getting it.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #15 
Bresn

Beside that,I saw over 20 bags of goldfish and over 8 cups of betta.

It seems almost no one knows about fish care.Parents and son that knows almost nothing about fishes and girls and guys that goes "****" once in a while.HOW could the fishes live with them!!
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #16 
Joaquin

Location: DEEP IN DA HEARRRT OF TEXASSSS.....I hate that song.
Aw...I get sad reading all this :(. I wish people were more informed about animal care in general.

I try to let people know about bettas when I'm in the betta section and see them deciding on whether or not to buy one. I try to tell them to make sure to buy things such as water conditioner and stuff...I don't know if they listen in the end, but it's worth a try.
Joaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

At least in the back of there mind they know you are right. I read a yahoo thing thing where a teacher kept the class Betta in a .5 tank a Betta keeper took care of it in a 10 gallon medicated it he had to bring it back to school and the teacher said he hurt it the student cured the fin rot and as sad as he was brought the fish with some decorations and everyone there said hiding spots are bad for bettas it is in yahoo under ignorant Betta keeper also some tried to keep a green terror and an Oscar in a 12 gallon and then says he had them 4 months and they only grow the size of their tanks a friend of mine keeps trying to tell me fish are only decorations.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #18 
DanielleB

You can't blame people. When I was younger we bought a goldfish and a goldfish bowl and that was it. There was nothing to tell us that this was wrong. I'm pretty sure the goldfish only lasted a couple of months. But how were we to know.
Nowadays people who know nothing about fish go to Petco or Petsmart & just buy fish, take them home and do the same thing. They are just regular people, not like the people here who are genuine fish lovers who really take care of their fish and do research.
It should be up to the people at the pet stores to inform people about the fish they want to buy, but these are just retails stores who hire people without real knowledge about fishkeeping. I'm sure they give them basic lessons, but they are just regular folks who needed a job and took it. They are not people with PHDs in oceanography, they are just salespeople like any other retail store.
So there will always be people who buy fish, bring them home and just put them in bowls and other people who will try to learn as much as possible about fishkeeping. It's no use complaining about people who don't do research into the hobby. That's the way it's always been and will never change.
DanielleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #19 
Aus

I really can't agree. I think you CAN blame people.

I was one of those eedjits who bought a betta, stuck it in a vase.. Then, because my head is not entirely up my arse, I went about researching how to care for this animal I'd bought and was now responsible for.

It wouldn't matter - pond snail or African elephant - if I am responsible for a pet, I want to know how to care for it well.

Because that's what people who understand the responsibility of having pets do.

And I think that for people who treat fish or any other pet as a decoration, like they don't matter, or who are too lazy or ignorant to want to use Google.. being blamed for that animal's death and suffering is exactly what SHOULD happen - shame is a powerful motivating tool, and if it IS their fault the fish died/suffered, better they know it, right? So why not call it when you see it.

Maybe if reason isn't working to save their animals from a horrible existence followed shortly by a horrible death, the shame of being called on animal cruelty will.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #20 
DanielleB

The problem is a lot of people just regard fish as fish and not as a pet like a dog or a cat. There are no major campaigns or advertising by animal cruelty groups as when they advertise against cruelty to dogs or cats. So how are people to know? Sure if you happen to be in the pet store at the time someone is looking at a goldfish and you can tell them a fishbowl will not be proper or that you can not put 2 Bettas together, but this will not usually be the case. Of the few fish I have bought, only one time did a salesperson ask me what kind of tank I was putting it in. So most of the time people who are not knowledgeable about fishkeeping will just go into the store, buy the fish, a bowl, and some fish food, and that will be all they do. It's not thier fault. If you want to blame anyone, blame the stores. In Petsmart you can walk in, buy 2 male Bettas, go to the cash register without anyone telling you or any signs posted over the Bettas, telling you that you can not put 2 males in the same tank. You can't blame people, you have to blame the stores for not informing people properly on how to care for their fish.
DanielleB is offline   Reply With Quote