Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #21 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzlux View Post
She recently bought a cichlid and has it in 2.5 gal tank.......
How? How is it possible that the pet store let her buy just one cichlid and a 2.5 gallon tank to put it in?? Some species will be nearly the same size as a 2.5 gallon tank once they're finished growing! There's a lot of folks who are ignorant about bettas due to the betta-as-decorative-object "trend", but much less when it comes to cichlids.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #22 
gn3ranger

Well its both parties fault really store for misinformation and yourself for not researching beforehand. I was one of those people who won a goldfish at a fair and put it in a bowl when I was like 7, Now i know that is horrible. People who just have them as decorations are different they think of them as objects and most do not really care for the fish itself rather its appealing appearance eventually diminishing due to lack of care I'm talking about offices with those horrible wall 1 gallon tanks that look like bubbles.

Last edited by gn3ranger; 08-29-2012 at 01:17 AM.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #23 
Aus

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree, which is alright by me. :)

I was told the spiel about bettas only needing small spaces, able to live in cold water, etc, by the usual pet store muppet with no clue..

But I still did the research. Thank goodness. IMO, there's no excuse - particularly not these days, with Google a fingertip away. Nobody's THAT busy that they can't spare 60 seconds to Google 'fish care'. Unless they just don't have it in their awareness that fish might have needs outside of looking pretty for their owners.

And yes, I see this is what you're saying - but it remains that we live in the age of information, and it's not like it isn't right -there- to be found, if anyone wishes to bother looking.

I do agree on one point - there's nothing anyone can do about other people's ignorance on a mass level, especially if that ignorance is strenuously defended. But if somebody's fish are suffering and dying out of their own lack of motivation to see to it that their pets are well cared for, I don't see why they (who made the choice to purchase the pet) shouldn't be regarded as being at fault.

Because, when it comes to it, they are.

And being told so might just wake them up a bit, who knows?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I bought my Betta in a big vase now he lives in a heated planted 10 gallon tank some people just do not want to learn if pet stores used aspies labor it is a win win cheap labor experienced people. My local pet store keeps fiddler crabs in freshwater we should start an organization like PETA except more sane. some people like to be ignorant.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #25 
gn3ranger

+1 choclate I had my Betta in a vase too Now he is also in a heated filtered 10 gallon with 2 cories. Yahoo answers is sometimes so dumb glad i found this forum very informative.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

i wish I could keep fish with my Betta he is one of those hyper aggressive bettas he will fight anything ounce a piece of Labrador fur was in his mouth put my hand in the tank he bit my finger real hard kinda hurt.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #27 
magnum

Wow, the ignorance of people overwhelms me. I don't understand. A fish is a living thing right? It needs food and water, air and has a beating heart. What more of a definition do we need to label it like our pet dog, cat or horse?

Of course, I was one of those people that had nagged my mum for a while about getting a fish. I didn't care what type or anything, I just wanted a fish. I bought a tiny tank, I'm much to embarrassed to tell you guys the size of it. I went to the petstore and immediately walked past the Betta section to the goldfish. The petstore employee then came to tell me that a goldfish would need a filter and a large tank. Of course, this is the only valuable info this woman gave me. She then told me that betta's live in puddles, can eat goldfish flakes and don't need a heater because whatever I can give it will be better than what they have in the wild. I am more than happy to say that I returned home, after setting up Stu's small tiny tank. I noticed that something didn't well feel right. I went home and researched for three hours, I found this website, and a few others which were really great. A week later, I had a 3 Gallon tank and heater, along with some hiding places.

So, how hard is it really to do research? Five minutes on the internet and $50 dollars can save you a lot of trouble in the future.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #28 
LittleBettaFish

It's a lot easier nowadays to do research with the internet. Before the internet was so popular, all you had were books (which often contained outdated and incorrect information) and the LFS staff.

All my fish died horrible horrible deaths back then. I had seahorses because the lady at the store said they were great for a first time fishkeeper. Then some kind of other saltwater fish that both died within a week of me owning them. That was all my birthday and Christmas money blown, totally discounting the fact that I lost my fish.

Does that make me a bad fishkeeper? I would like to think not, since nothing like that has happened to me since. I learned from my mistakes and when I returned to the hobby around nine or so years later I did my research beforehand.

I think you really can only use the excuse of ignorance once. Especially in this day and age where soooo much information is at your fingertips.

However, there are some people who you can never change, no matter how persuasive your argument. To a lot of people out there a fish is just a fish. If it dies or gets sick you just flush it and trot off to the store to buy a new one. This is partly because fish are so cheap they are practically disposable goods, and partly because many people are jackasses.

There is one thing in this world I never want to come back as and that is a pet fish. Particularly something like a betta or a goldfish. They have to be amongst the two mistreated pets kept today.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

He bit me but I still love and care for him. If some one tried to hurt my fish I will have to call an ambulance for them after my revenge.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 08-29-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #30 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzlux View Post
friend of mine had 2 betta in a 2.5 gal. I told her many times that was too small. She didn't care. Then randomly she bought 3 neon tetra and put them in a new 1 gallon with her other betta she got on a whim the same day. I got so mad at her. I told her to take the tetra out NOW and put them in the 2.5 gallon. She did. and of course the tetra ended up dying a few days later. But at least I saved her new betta in the 1 gal tank. So irresponsible it hurts. I try to explain to her the nitrogen cycle, over stocking, and schooling but she just pushes it off. UGH. She recently bought a cichlid and has it in 2.5 gal tank....... I just want to slap her -_-
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote