Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #1 
ZackyBear

Moss Ball?

This afternoon for lunch I decided to drop by PetSmart to pick up some toys for my sister's love-bird. I passed by the betas but stopped when I saw this weird green....fuzzy ball-thing in a cup displayed underneath them.

It was a moss ball, apparently. I couldn't get a picture since I didn't bring my phone, but I hope someone knows what I'm talking about.

They don't really look like something good to have in a Betta tank. Yes or no?
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #2 
Wolfie305

Marimo Moss Balls! They are great for any tank and can help a little bit by sucking up some ammonia. I just learned about them myself and have one for each tank I have :3
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #3 
ZackyBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
Marimo Moss Balls! They are great for any tank and can help a little bit by sucking up some ammonia. I just learned about them myself and have one for each tank I have :3
They looked kinda murky to me, so I didn't know! But yes, those things, hehe They don't have any sort of risks on them do they? No surprises?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #4 
Mo

There are many benefits to having marimo moss (though not actually moss) balls in your tank as well as similar plants like java moss. For one, they help maintain water quality and consume ammonia, but unless 50% of your tank is planted then it won't leave a big dent on ammonia

they are almost an interactive plant, they will be seen moving around in the tank and skidding below the surface of the water. They do this to attain to preferred conditions.

They will pick up algae and help with controlling it, most of the time it won't even grow.... Even thought hey are technically "algae" they seem to prevent it from growing

They do have a few requirements though. Like they need to be cleaned out every 1 week caused y debris pickup, along with turning onto a different side as if they stay on one side permanatly it starts to turn a brownish color

They do require some light and do much better in a dim light as in high light they seem to develop unsightly brown spots, but don't neccisarilly need any added fertilizers unless the conditions are undesirable
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #5 
ZackyBear

I didn't know it was ALIVE. O_o That's actually pretty neat. I am seriously considering getting a few for when I get my own bettas.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #6 
lvandert

I love them. I have two normal and 5 nano's on the way here. You got to name them though :P or at least the bigger ones..
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #7 
ZackyBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
I love them. I have two normal and 5 nano's on the way here. You got to name them though :P or at least the bigger ones..
And they have nanos, too? O.o wow...

I'mgoing to petco today with a friend. I am going to check and see if they have it there to o. And hopefully my friend can stop me from buying a betta. But if there are any really healthy ones ill post pictures and the address if anyone is interested.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #8 
lvandert

lol. The nano's I bought online, they dont sell them in stores. They don't do much besides cut down the algae growth, which is odd because their algae themselves... But they are fun too look and and watch your fish interact with.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #9 
xjenuhfur

Marimo moss balls! I've got two, and they're really cool to look at. :D

Oh, and if you get one, don't forget to name it! Marimo moss ball army.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #10 
LuckyBlue

So, should I trust buying the marino ball from petco or is there a place online that people trust for buying healthy plants,,,, I saw them today, but didn't know anything about them.... maybe I'll go back and get one..
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote