Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #11 
Exterrestrial

How sweet of you and your daughter!
I bet Sweetpea will really enjoy all that.

Me and my family are the same way, we love animals.

Thank you for taking this sweet ferret in, it angers me when people don't care about animals.

I wish your family & Sweetpea the best. (:
Exterrestrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #12 
Pitluvs

Actually, I have to speak up and say there are some types of cat food that are actually recommended OVER ferret foods. Most commercial ferret food is junk. I would personally feed Taste of the Wild or Felidae to ferrets over ferret foods. I've owned 7 ferrets over the last 10 years that did great on higher quality cat foods.

And all pet store ferrets are spayed and decented if they come from Hagen or Marshalls... but in the USA there are many who breed ferrets and sell them without both surgeries. In Canada, it's not commonly heard of to have unaltered ferrets.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #13 
Tikibirds

Poor ferret.

All I know abut them is you need a permit to own them here. Or you did...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #14 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Actually, I have to speak up and say there are some types of cat food that are actually recommended OVER ferret foods. Most commercial ferret food is junk. I would personally feed Taste of the Wild or Felidae to ferrets over ferret foods. I've owned 7 ferrets over the last 10 years that did great on higher quality cat foods.

And all pet store ferrets are spayed and decented if they come from Hagen or Marshalls... but in the USA there are many who breed ferrets and sell them without both surgeries. In Canada, it's not commonly heard of to have unaltered ferrets.
The thing that makes me question if she's been altered or not is the fact that we don't have any pet shops of any kind (not even fish at Walmart) within an hour of our town in any direction.

We won't be keeping her, so I won't be investing in anything special for her, just Friskies and whatever else I can get her to eat. She woke up an hour ago and spent the first hour gobbling up food and water, the proceeded to explore the couch and my daughter's bedroom, with a LOT of supervision of course. We are not really prepared for a ferret, so nothing has been ferret proofed. :(

I have to get back to ferret sitting, she's so inquisitive! I'll post pictures in a little while! :)
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #15 
Aluyasha

I would not give her any fruit. Ferret (weasels) are carnivores. I would stay on the safe side and say no to fruit.
I will also say no to the dog shampoo. Most things made for dogs are too harsh for ferrets. Go for things made for kittens (do not bathe her too often, it will cause dry skin and actually make her smell worse). Dry kitten food is alright to give her if you cannot find ferret food (do not give her the ferret food from walmart=bad stuff).
If you want her weight back up you can give her pedialyte or a favorite ferret treat called duck soup. You can also give her 2nd generation turkey or chicken baby food.
I would stay away from the peanut butter aswell, peanut better has been known to cause choking. Though you can get Bandit's peanut butter ferret treats at your lps. :)

As for litter you can use dry stove wood pellets or non clumping, dust free cat litter. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #16 
MollyJean

Meh.. my computer died a couple of days ago. Had to re-install everything. Anyway.

The ferret is doing great. She's gaining weight and every day she's a little more active. She's so sweet, wants to be pet and snuggled and loves having her belly rubbed. She also refuses to eat from her bowl if she can help it. She would much rather be hand fed. All and all, she's so... perfect, it's such a shame I can't keep her! But with 3 cats and a pit bull she's not really the ideal addition. And I have no where to put her. She's in a dog crate right now! So I've put ads up on Craigslist and facebook and I'm going to put a poster up at the vets office and cross my fingers. She really does deserve a good home.. so I might be kinda picky.. lol.

Wish her luck, she's had a really bad life so far, everyone cross your fingers and hope it gets better!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ferret surprise pet found