Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #11 
betta lover1507

take her out when the male is harassing her away. may we see a pic of this pair? am curious
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

You should have taken her out before the eggs were released.

I cannot stress the importance of getting EVERYTHING ready WEEKS in advance to setting the pair up.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #13 
betta lover1507

i just remembered, where they conditioned? if so how many weeks?
mr.vampire not to be rude, since it happened. where gonna help this user keep these fry alive since your an expert, i ... well i had experience.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

There is nothing I can do. The first 10 days are either eat or die.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #15 
plakatkhmer

The first ten day's can I feed them egg yolk?

Oh and they are done doing the hanky panky, I put the female back into her room. And te male is still with the eggs. So now all I have to do is wait for the eggs to hatch and feed them yolk?
How many day's do I feed the yolk to the free swimming fry? There is atleast 200 eggs in the bubbles.

Thank you for helping me out.

Oh and do I leave the light on for the male betta and eggs? If so for how many days?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-31-2012 at 12:44 AM.
plakatkhmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

Yolk is okay but it pollutes the water like no other.

Basically you're fine for the next two days. The eggs will hatch in 24 to 36 hours and then 48 to 60 hours from now they'll start swimming.

Yes the light needs to be on until the male is removed when they become free swimming.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #17 
plakatkhmer

Thanks alot. So when do I start to feed them egg yolk?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #18 
plakatkhmer

I condition them both for 3 weeks, I feed them black worms. pellets, and flakes.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #19 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I would run to a pet store and ask for appropriate fry food.. Can't help you that much, baby brine shrimp, vinegar eels.. All I know is fry need a varied diet with lots of different things to be healthy, not just one food type.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #20 
cajunamy
Banned

You really should not have attempted breeding since you obviously were not ready for it. Newly hatched bettas are this big - . That's right, the size of that dash. Smaller, sometimes. Microscopic fish need even tinier microscopic foods, which you obviously did not have ahead of time. I don't understand why you would breed when you don't have the needed supplies.

But, like another poster has mentioned, the deed is done. Find some brine shrimp eggs if you can, and hatch them. The bigger fry will be able to eat them, unfortunately the smaller ones will likely starve to death. But, if you were not prepared with food, I'm guessing you aren't prepared to have potentially hundreds of fish either, so it's actually a good thing in your case. If you don't have any live plants in there either, put some in ASAP and turn on a super bright light over the tank and leave it on 24/7 so the microscopic critters can bloom from the plants and the babies will have something to eat.

Egg yolk, I have heard, will work in a pinch but as MrV said, will pollute the water immediately. You will absolutely HAVE to do daily water changes using it, which you have to do anyway after the 2 week mark.

PLEASE, if you ever want to attempt to breed again, be sure you have the money, the time, and the supplies weeks ahead of time. And make sure you do your research, as you would have known all of this if you had.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote