Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #1 
kbeuning

Sick Betta White Stuff on Side

I am writing about my room mate's betta, one year old. He is sick, see pic below. I have never personally owned a fish, I am learning about it now.

Background: fish lived in a 1 gallon tank with aerator for a year. He started looking sick, whitish patch on his side, spitting food out, lethargic, hanging out in a corner.

We put him in a bowl with 1/2 gallon fresh water (distilled, that is what she had been using), put the aerator in it and he perked up a tad and started eating again.

A few days later, she got a 1.5 gallon tank with aerator and filter, and some tap water treatment. She also got Lifeguard all-in-one treatment. The treatment called for one pill per 5 gallons of water so she estimated how much for the 1/2 gallon bowl.

Treated him for a few days then moved him to the new 1.5 gal tank. She treated for a couple more days. The treatment instructions were not followed exactly. They called for removing the carbon from the filter during treatment, didn't do that. But he did have a few days of treatment in the bowl with no filter running. I am assuming the filter traps the meds, but don't really know. And, a 1/4 water change at day 6, didn't do that step.

It's been about a week since treatment ended. He is better but still not right. He likes to stay by the filter, keeping the patchy side of his body up against it, maybe it itches or hurts him there? He doesn't seem to swim quite right, either, but there is now a big castle in the tank with not a whole lot of room to swim, so hard to judge. He likes being in the castle too.

The question is, is this a fungus or something?
Thank you in advance.

kbeuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #2 
kbeuning

Additional info:
He eats pellets - all he wants. The pkg says all he can eat in 3 minutes. One time he ate 10. Now about 4 to 6 a day.
He has no tank mates.
Water temp is room temperature, mid 70's. Nights were about 68 during the winter. Now low to mid 70's most of the time.
Water not tested. Not sure how often it was changed, but I think she changed 100% when she did.

I honestly did not pay much attention to what she was doing with the fish until he started looking sick. Then I became attached to him, mother instinct, I guess. My room mate is my son's girlfriend, I live with them both. So I must be careful not to interfere too much!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #3 
kbeuning

One more thing... the white stuff sloughed off a bit since I took the picture a day ago.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #4 
sgamez1

mmm im no expert but aquarium salt helps i think i dunno if he might have a bacterial infection. make sure to not touch him ither use gloves because if its TB then you can catch it too.
sgamez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #5 
sgamez1

or it might just be a open wound is there something in there that could hurt him that severely
sgamez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #6 
Sea Dragon

Don't use distilled water, it has no essential minerals in it that fish need to be happy. Also try using a heater, bettas need heaters more than filters or aerators, but having three at the same time is optimal :)

Also try to follow the exact dosage and directions for medication next time since deviating can kill the fish or exacerbate the problem. If you have trouble dosing try a method like this:

1 tablet treats five gallons
5 gallons= 1.5gal x 3.3333...
Dissolve 1 tablet into 6 tablespoons of water
Take 2 tablespoons of the solution and put it into the tank.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #7 
Sea Dragon

I should also add that don't follow the instructions on food packets. They recommend too much in order to steal your money. If your betta's an adult, 4 pellets a day should be fine. 3 minutes of eating is way too much.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #8 
kbeuning

Thank you!! Should the treatment be done again? Any idea what the stuff is on his side? When he was in the original tank, my room mate said he was rubbing his side on a decorative ceramic type coral thing. I think that was in response to whatever that stuff is on his side.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 
Mo

Cysts? Fungus? And Dropsy? It looks very serious, from the raised scales I would depict that it has dropsy, and it's organs a failing as a result of numerous things
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #10 
Sea Dragon

I've seen nothing like it so I have no idea on what it could be. Hopefully an expert here will further guide you concerning the diagnosis and medication :)