Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 
aurasoulful

Question I just had my first "dropped fish" moment

I never thought it would happen to me. I have never had any fish leave my tanks except in their cups during 100% WC. Well today I was doing a major water change in my 29 gallon sorority when two things happened. One of my girls, Onion, gets a ride up my siphon tube. I saw her disappear into the squeeze pump area. I freaked and start tearing off the squeeze pump and couldn't find her. I looked down. There she was.. ON THE CARPET! With wet hands I quickly and carefully pick her up and put her in one of the full buckets for a moment. Then after she started moving around, back into the tank. It's lucky that she is Okay and is behaving like nothing had happened. She even ate normally. Her fins are fine, just a little bruised. Poor girl.

What is your most memorable out of water experience? I had finally and horrifingly had mine Let's hope it's my last.
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #2 
maxw47

I was once doing a water change on my ten gallon and my female platy popped out of the tank. I too flipped out and picked her up and back into the tank. I was worrying aall night wondering if she would be ok. But I am pleased to say that she is doing great to this day.
Posted via Mobile Device
maxw47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #3 
aurasoulful

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxw47 View Post
I was once doing a water change on my ten gallon and my female platy popped out of the tank. I too flipped out and picked her up and back into the tank. I was worrying aall night wondering if she would be ok. But I am pleased to say that she is doing great to this day.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's good news. I think because it was so brief, it caused minimal stress/damage. It's always water changes that makes them to want to decide they don't want to be fish anymore Maybe they fear the water is going to run out on them. They may get that feeling as the depth lowers so fast. Or it could be pure coincidence. Thanks for sharing maxw47 :3
Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #4 
nel3

if anything it'll be my VT that will be the first to do that in the future. i was doing a WC today and i had him in his cup (1cm water level from top). covered the cup with my hand but he still tried to jump when my hand was preventing that.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #5 
sparkyjoe

Huh, I just had one of these moments today.

I have my latest betta boy in a medium pet keeper in my kitchen. Because of the severe evaporation of this unit I put some aluminum foil over it and tore open a small hole to I could feed him

Well, I was getting ready to head out of the house to an appointment when I heard a strange crackling noise coming from the kitchen. I went in and it happened again so I looked towards the noise and there's my crazy new boy, flopping on top of the foil! He managed to leap up out of the water and squeeze his king size body out of whole not much bigger than he it! It's his first time having a fasting day, so maybe he was looking for food.

I ripped the foil to allow him back in the water and he seems fine. I stopped at PetSmart after my appointment to pick up a 5 gallon for him.

Crazy fish.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #6 
Jessicatm137

When I got my unnamed Halfmoon, when I was transferring him to his new tank, he jumped and went in the sink... Before he flopped into the drain I quickly picked him up and put him in his new tank. He was in shock for a moment, then warmed up and started exploring his tank. A few days later he made a bubble nest... Though he made me freak out!
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #7 
Zero186

All my bettas have jumped during water changes and have ended up on the carpet, desk, etc. At one point or another. They have all made it just fine. It's a total freakout moment that I feel most fish keepers experience at some point.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #8 
aurasoulful

Oh my god.... STOP IT FISHIES!! LOLOL I never had a jumper.... Yet.... Let's hope I didn't just jinx myself.. again XD I'm glad everybody's fishies were okay. The sink was the most scary. Close call in cups. I always snap my lids on tight. They can't be trusted. sparky's fish wanted to be wrapped up to go.. Silly fish, but really accurate and good aim. I can't trust my fish now.. <_<
Old 03-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #9 
aurasoulful

The carpet seems like it would be prickally to them. Good thing the carpet where my girl fell, got damp. DX
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #10 
Jessicatm137

The lid of the cup was on, when I took it off that was the moment he decided to jump. Though he hasn't jumped since... He's a bad fish.
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote