Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #11 
aurasoulful

<_< He can't be trusted... I will never leave a lidless cup ever again
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #12 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurasoulful View Post
Oh my god.... STOP IT FISHIES!!... sparky's fish wanted to be wrapped up to go.. Silly fish, but really accurate and good aim. <_<
I know, right?!?!? Apparently he wanted to go to my appointment with me.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #13 
Bombalurina

I have two of these moments...

The first was with my VT Apollo. There I was, cleaning his 5 gallon. The water in the tank was about halfway down, about halfway up my ribs. He jumped out of the tank and nearly hit me on the nose. I jerked back and he fell all the way down to the hard, cold tiles of the kitchen. I should mention, I'm 5'10", so my nose height is an awfully long way for a little fish to fall.
Anyway, I plopped him back in, where he lay breathing heavily on the substrate for a while. He perked back up in a few days.

My second story was a red cherry shrimp girl. I'd just done a 100% change and at some point she had obviously ended up on the carpet instead of in the tank or in the holding bucket where she was supposed to be. Anyway, finished the change, went away and 3 HOURS LATER went back to the tank. There she was, on the carpet. I moped a bit and put her in the tank so her little body would be eaten. No sooner had she touched the water when she twitched, wriggled off my fingers and shrimped away like nothing had happened.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #14 
aurasoulful

OMG! It's getting more crazy as we go 0-0
Wow Apollo wanted to hug you! XD "Thanks for cleaning my tank so regularly!" *jumps to hug* LOL Magic cherry shrimp.. That's amazing. Sparky's fish wanted a hug too! XD Amazing what bettas can endure, and shrimp!
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:12 AM   #15 
RedFynn21

I've never had a betta that jumped out of my tank.*Knocks on wood* But, I have a nice, scary moment from years ago when I had my first betta. I was 12 at the time, and also had a cat. I would always keep the door to my room closed...to keep the cat out. She was after all, a cat, and too nosy for her own good =). Well, one day, I guess I didn't get my door closed all the way *facepalms*, and I went to school oblivious as ever. Came home to my grandma telling me, "Your cat snuck in your room, knocked the betta tank over, and then your bird cage over." O.o

I guess sneaky little Tabitha managed to get into my room, get on top of my dresser, knock over the entire tank, then moved on to my computer desk to where I had a couple of Parakeets, and knocked that over, too. The dresser was a good 5 ft. fall, and the poor little guy, tank/water/all the contents landed on my carpet. Poor Betta was on the carpet for a good 4 hrs. w/o water. Parakeets were also in a cage tipped on the side on my floor. I guess the cat lost interest, because other than having their feathers ruffled, the birds were okay. And so was my betta...other than being traumatized beyond belief for awhile.

How he survived on the carpet with out water for that long, I will never know. Thank goodness that my grandma went into my room, found my betta in time, and put him in water. If not, I'm sure he would not have go on to live almost 4 yrs. Boy what a mess! I learned to always double, and triple check that my door was shut all the way.

Last edited by RedFynn21; 03-31-2012 at 04:25 AM.
RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:29 AM   #16 
Betta16

the day I got Shadow, i put him in his new home a 5g and it was right next to my Mate 5g tank and Shadow thought he would like Twinks (my mate betta) tank better, i turned around to pick twink up to put him is his tank (just changed water) and i see Shadow jump tanks coolest thin iv ever had a betta do, he cleared a .5inch gap to land in Twinks tank. Iv sins kept the cover on Shadows tank any time he is in it as he has repeted this stunt on at least 3 more time after water changings lol silly Betta
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #17 
Laki

oh my goodness! These stories are so terrible! But interesting, HOW they get by...

Well, thank goodness I don't have habitual jumpers! They only jump at dinner time. But when Ludendorff was still suffering from fin melt and mad old stress I was up cleaning his half filled tank daily. This one time I thought it would be a quick clean so I got up on the counter kicked some dishes out of the way and tried to get him. No matter how sick he was and clamped and ill, he ALWAYS put up a fight to get caught. I finally got him in a net and he jumped out of it.... Into a dirty spatula bowl (you know, where there's tons of grease from spatula) o.O

I was horrified but he recovered.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #18 
ZackyBear

I remember when I had a VT and a CT named Bug and Pearl. Bug once jumped out oh his temp-tank while i was doing a WC. I saw him shoot out like a rocket, freaked out, dropped everything. The whole kitchen flooded because of the little bugger, but i got him back in his tank safely and put a cover on that dang thing. If fish could laugh....

Pearl never jumped, thankfully.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #19 
Rosso1011

I have had one dropped fish moment with one of my tetras. I was doing a substrate change so we were moving everyone and one of the tetras was putting up a fight going into tank and missed it, landing on the hardwood floor. I carefully scooped him up and put him back in the water. Our little jumper lives on to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
My second story was a red cherry shrimp girl. I'd just done a 100% change and at some point she had obviously ended up on the carpet instead of in the tank or in the holding bucket where she was supposed to be. Anyway, finished the change, went away and 3 HOURS LATER went back to the tank. There she was, on the carpet. I moped a bit and put her in the tank so her little body would be eaten. No sooner had she touched the water when she twitched, wriggled off my fingers and shrimped away like nothing had happened.
You gotta watch those shrimp! They are notorious jumpers! When I bought some shrimp for Rosso, one of them jumped out while they were trying to bag everyone, then another one tried to jump when I was introducing them into the aquarium.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #20 
BetterBetta

In my science class we were measuring the rate of the heartbeat of the ghost shrimp, and I knew they were jumpers. I had an all-girl group so I was the only girl who had the guts to go over to the main holding tank, scoop one up, and carry it over to our little station with a kritter keeper. THe shrimp decided to jump onto my sleeve, then jump again by my head. It was hilarious because everyone else was freaking out!:D

Also on my old community 10 gallon I was changing the decor and performing a WC. I turned my back to get some silk plants but thought nothing of the little splash I had heard. When I was done 10 minutes later, I looked down, horrified, at my sunburst platy in a puddle of water. I scooped it up and it was fine, thank goodness!
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote