Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #1 
OMGemily

Afraid of coming home to a dead Antione....

My new fish died yesterday... after about 3 days... i could see absolutely nothing wrong with him except clamped fins... i saw that his rays were kind of deteriorating but that was after i found him dead after id been gone for about 9 hours so i think that probably happened afterwords... he also may or may not have had trouble swimming... i remember seeing his pectoral fins moving a lot faster than Antiones when he was just hovering and Antione was actually swimming... so my question is what diseases are there that dont normally show obvious signs? or just have one or two signs that arent always necessarily illness indicators
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #2 
ANHEL123

My question would be if you need to do major water changes since they were in the same tank in case he had some kind of bacteria or fungus...I really not sure but i think that what i would do. May be someone else can give you advice. I hope Antione is ok. Is he in 10 gall or 5.5 gall?

The red fish looked good though.

You know I am thinking recently. Someone on the forum recommended to quarantine the plants before you even put them in the new tank. I would really recommend everyone do not put your new betta in the tank with another betta until you have fish for a few 2-3,4 weeks and sure nothing wrong with it.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #3 
OMGemily

hes in a 5.5 i changed about 90% of the water... he seems to be blind now...? he keeps swimming into things... i just noticed this since i got home a few minutes ago...
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

is he darting around? Are you sure you put enough water conditioner?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #5 
OMGemily

some times he just has these little "spurts" but he normally swims around pretty leisurely... he hasnt been swimming fast at all since i got home though... i thought maybe it was the water, so i just got him some new water in a cup and added conditioner... but stupid stupid me... i didnt check the temperature... or acclimate him... when he gets stressed under his gills turnes a lighter color and they were almost white... i know it was beyond stupid of me but im just so worried... this one cant die on me :( Antione means a lot more to me...
Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

If he is swimming normally now not laying on the bottom and if he ate (not sure when his feeding time) than i hope he is fine.
Not sure what happened though...I always afraid about temperature difference too. I had accident one time. I forgot about temperature and change my betta. The difference was like about 8*. So he was kind of a little lethargic. Since than i let water sit for 24 hrs . I have 2.5 gall so it easier for me. Then 30-40 min before i change my tank i make another .5 gall with warmer water. Then when i change it i mix cooler water with warmer. It works for me. And when my house warm and i don't use heaters then it even better and very convenient you just using aged water and it the same temp that your betta already in. This way you don't shock them with temp difference.
Also very convenient to have stripe thermometer which you can stick outside on your tank and see temp while you pouring the water in. Those thermometers $3-4 and very sensitive it so convenient.

So is he ok now?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #7 
OMGemily

hes reacting to my finger again... but he has white stuff on his face... like maybe fungus? its all over his head... i dont know what to do... im not going to be home much at all today... i think im going to put some melafix in with his water... its supposed to treat mouth fungus.... i thought he was better until i looked more closely :(
Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #8 
lvandert

be careful you dont add too much. It can be bad. I generally dip part of a chopstick in the bottle and swirl that into a gallon of water. It makes it super diluted. Too much tea tree oils destroy the air breathing organ (for the life of me I cant remember its name at the moment).
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

is the white stuff fuzzy?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

I don't recommend to put melafix.

When you come home check if it white cottony ,fuzzy like patches or just white dots. Can you post his picture? So sorry.

If it fuzzy it might be fungus. You will need aquarium salt. It it white dots it might be ich. See if he darting around or scratching his body on the rocks or anything else.

Also yesterday when i asked you if you put enough water conditioner you wrote that you want back and put extra. It might be that you put too much. I just saw someone's post who put too much of stress coat and fish had the same symptoms. It always good to put a little bit more then not enough..but don’t put too much…

Do you have aquarium salt at home?