Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

pop eye possible dropsy?

so i am typing this on a german computer and the keys are different so i appologize for any spelling/gramatical errors.

i'm house/dog sitting for a friend and decided that my fish would be ok un suppervised two to three days at a time. today being the third day i made the trip home to feed them. when i got there i noticed my male HM 'bocephus's left eye was clouded over. i immediately cupped him since he's in a divided 10g with my female. his left eye is slightly cloudy and both seem a little swollen. the scales around his face seem off as well. he's a habitual tail biter, has been since i got him in November, so i've always been paranoid about keeping his tank clean so he doesn't get infections. i've put him in varying sizes of tanks and nothing seems to make a difference.

i was looking at the description/treatment of pop eye on the desease and treatment thread and wanted to double check what you guy thought and the treatment. i packed up 5g of treated water from my house, him, my 1.5g qt tank and the aq salt. i don't have epsom salt but plan on picking some up tomorrow since it seems like that is the treatment for pop eye. what doses of ep salt do i give? i appologize, normally i would like to post a picture but i don't have a camera. and p.s. he does not have fin rot that i am aware of, i had to treat fin rot on a previous fish and did the same treatments on this fish and saw no improvements back when i first got him. i havn't seen him bite but there is nothing in his tank he can be tearing it on.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g divided (5g)
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? yes, baffled
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a female on the other side of the divider, she will flare at him but he seems to care less

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x in the pm

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? everz 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime and stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 8.4
Hardness: 25
Alkalinity: 300

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? swollen eyes, one cloudy eye, rough scales on head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? has not, he even ate his dinner tonight
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today, but he has been left alone for 3 days
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? have not, changed water and added extra stress coat to help with the move
Does your fish have any history of being ill? has always been kinda off, tail bites, stress stripes that come and go
How old is your fish (approximately)? he is fairly tiny but have only had him since november

thanks for zour help guys!!
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Get him in something easy to do 100% daily changes in.

also, start him on 1 tsp/gal epsom salt (No scents or colors, dissolve first). change his water every day and re-add salt. Should he not show improvement in 5 days or gets worse in 5 days, up the dose to 2 tsp/gal. Continue for 14 days maximum or 7 days minimum.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote