Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #1 
BetterBetta

I saved 2 bettas' lives today!

So today at the pet store I saw a girl and her mom walk in, she was about a year older than me. The Petco clerk immediately started talking to them so I headed off to the SW tanks to look at a colony of zoanthids. I overhead the lady telling the girl that bettas can be kept in jars with plants in them, and kept telling them false information like that. The clerk chose a .5 gallon betta keeper and un-nutritious food. It was a good 15 min and she had a DB Tail picked out for her friends birthday. When the clerk walked away, I approached the girl.

Kindly, I said "That is a beautiful fish, but that clerk is just trying to get her pay check and doesn't know correct information about these fish. Bettas should be treated as any other fish with adequate care. They can't live in vases, they're living beings and deserve better. I suggest you get something like a 2 gallon for your friend; your betta will live longer and happier. A betta is a carnivore and needs meaty food. I'm not trying to trash the clerk, just help the sake of a live animal and people with incorrect information. The bettas really seem to grow on you; I have two at home and their happy and healthy."

Thankfully the girl and her mom completely understand and thanked me several times for saving her friends fish. In the end her Mom got two 2 gallon tanks (1 for her friend and her!), two things of Omega1 pellets, and a Beautiful pink DB for her friend (the tail was like a heart) and a almost white marble halfmoon. I explained how the marble would soon grow from plain white, to saphire blue like the patches beginning near the tail and head. I told her a WC schedule, feeding schedule, and tips on what kind of decor to advoid. I also told her they are tropical fish, and like warmer temps, but since we live in FL, we wouldn't need a heater til winter. I then gave her my number to ask me any questions

Overall I felt really good walking out of that store. I know that even I, a 13 year old, can change the coarse of an animals life. Man, do I feel good today!:D

NOTE: sorry for spelling errors/ typos I'm just so happy I got to do this, so I'm kind of hyper-ecstatic-happy mood right now:D!
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #2 
registereduser

The kids on this forum are very impressive
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #3 
littlegreen

Oh, wow! Go you! 8D
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

I feel massively old saying this (I'm only 21, lol), but people like you give me hope for the "youth of today" all over again. Excellent job. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #5 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I feel massively old saying this (I'm only 21, lol), but people like you give me hope for the "youth of today" all over again. Excellent job. :)
+1

Some kids these days have no respect for anything, but reading this gave me a shred of hope that the future generation will not all be completely inept of logic
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #6 
LuckyBlue

Great

So nice to see you step up to help the animals...... I have done that with people looking at chinchilla's at pet stores before, because I have had them fo r years.....

GOOD JOB... you Should feel good about it..
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Awesome. Just AWESOME! Now think of the life those fish could have had if you didn't say anything, and then think of the life they will have now. Yes!!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #8 
mattoboy

Im 13 too, great thing you did today!
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #9 
BetterBetta

Aw thanks all you guys!:D I had waved to the girl when she walked in, I think I've seen her around school before. Lol when the clerk had her back to me and said something crazy (ex. they eat once a week) I would literally pull at my hair and the girl would know that something was up. I'm just really happy she was actually willing to learn the correct information! I also recommended her to this site:D

And kids at my school really have no respect... I only have a very small group of friends who are actually genuine, but I can trust all of them. This year our science class is life science, which I already know most about since its marine/fish. My dad is a Charter Fisherman and I grew up on the water basically so its mostly prior knowledge, and so everyone knows me "as the fish girl". I have my own baby snowflake eel at school I take care of, and I get to take home in the summer. The best thing about all this.. I research. Like crazy. But I enjoy it, and I feel like if you want to be in the fishkeeping hobby, you really have to enjoy these beautiful creatures The only bad part is the price, because I'm the only one who really supports my hobby in my family, and I have to purchase everything except for equipment from past aquariums... and OHMYGOODNESS they had beautiful big-eared plakats at Petco today.. Just saying. (: Does anyone know if it causes the bettas any problems with the big pectorals?

Last edited by BetterBetta; 03-30-2012 at 11:52 PM.
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

I remember being 13 with a few bettas.... now I'm 15 with hundreds lol!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote