Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #21 
SpookyTooth

That was a wonderful (and brave!) thing for you to do :) I'd tip my hat to you but I don't actually own one...
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #22 
inareverie85

I was purchasing large critter keepers from my local Petco last week when the employee asked what I was keeping in them. When I said bettas, she told me I could go back and buy the smaller ones if I wanted; it would save me money. I told her that my bettas were happier with more space, and if I used the small ones Id have to change the water every other day or so.

She then went on to correct me, saying that if I was changing water that much that I was feeding too much. Apparently bettas only need to eat once a week. :P And they like smaller spaces, like vases. So many things wrong with her information.. I just smiled, proceeded to buy my large critter keepers, and left.

I feel now that maybe I should have corrected her, but she seemed so adamant that her information was better than mine that I fear my rebuttals would have fallen on deaf ears.

I'm glad though that kids as young as you have the courage and compassion for these fish to set the record straight!
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #23 
lvandert

My petco and petsmart don't even argue with me. I should apply there to work in the fishes...lol
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #24 
MrVampire181

Lol once a week? My bettas eat up to four times a day during conditioning! Lol. I keep bettas in various sized containers but if I can keep them in a big tub together I do. And lol I do water changes on my 10 and 16 gallons every few days and everyday for jars and small tanks. Even my 30 gallons are changed twice a week 75%!

When it comes to fish, good food in correct amounts (less for pet fish, like only once a day), lots of clean water, and proper temps are all it takes to keep them alive and happy.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #25 
Micho

Wow you're a brave little girl! Also a very well informed one.

I'm too timid to go up to strangers like that, I don't even try to rebuttle the employees at my LPS. . Hehe, maybe I should take some lessons from you and actually build up some courage.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:19 PM   #26 
BetterBetta

I think a lot of my courage actually came from this forum! I would read threads ranting about how employees were giving out wrong info, and the person that made the thread didn't say anything. I vowed to put myself in the betta's shoes.. fins.. tank.. view(?) next time and save the fish! I have a huge heart for these lil' guys, and the thought of one dying through ill-informed owners makes me tear up :(
I am usually very shy, but recently I've discovered that I feel strongly about something I'm willing to talk out without a hint of shyness. Maybe this courage has been here all along, maybe not, but either way I'm glad I told them the correct info!
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #27 
Bombalurina

My family won't come in with me to petshops any more, just in case I hear someone saying something wrong and start to correct them. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #28 
jediwing

Awww! It's great you spoke up and saved those bettas!
jediwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #29 
Betta16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
My petco and petsmart don't even argue with me. I should apply there to work in the fishes...lol
No joke Thats how I just got my job at petsmart. "Hunting dogs and bettas you wont find any one happier to talk and find the right fit to your needs"
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #30 
SageMyster

I'm called the "fish girl" by friends too... funny! I've wanted to do what you've done for ages, but have never found the appropriate moment for it. Today at Petco I saw a couple looking for a Betta and I tired to help them, but some people are just not as receptive. Kudos to you!
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote