Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #21 
mandi85710

That's good I an glad they are doing well!!! Just remember 28 days!!!

Here's that video of my new fishy!!! He is so cute...lol. Let me know what you think when you get the chance!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maS1niFaM60]My new Blood Red Parrot Cichlid - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprimesgurl View Post
Yes he is doing very good. :) He has fit in with his new home and both of my girls are doing good. I actually called up the pet store and they said it was most like the food from the store and the stress. Everyone is eating and personalities are definitely showing haha. I've fed them some brine shrimp and I gave my pleco a wafer and they seemed to be nibbling on that as well. They'll search for algae a lot too and my flake food containing spirulina. I think the female is a ways off too so that should give me some times to cycle the 10 gallon.
mandi85710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #22 
optimusprimesgurl

Oh...my gosh! I found 2 fry this afternoon. I moved them to the breeder I had as fast as I could. It's been 2 hours and they are swimming around in it protected. I don't even have the 10 gallon set up...so I'm not sure how long I can keep them in there. And when do I start feeding them? I'm still watching for more.
optimusprimesgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #23 
mandi85710

Congrats!!!

Feed them right away. They will either go to the top and get it or wait until it sinks. Just make sure you make the flakes as tiny as possible. You can leave them in there for weeks if you want since you only have 2. It is when you get 40 or so that they will not have much room for long. Just start cycling your 10G right away so you can move them when you want to.

Also I am not sure which breeder you have but make sure if you have the one with the slats on the side that they cannot swim out of it. Also take out the divider that you use to keep the mom from eating them b/c that will give them more room. Then put a small either floating plant or something in with them to make them feel safe. Don't forget to check your water parameters and watch the ammonia levels. Do at least a 25% water change tomorrow. Also add some slime coat to the water to help the mom b/c it is stressful giving birth.

You can watch all day but might never see another fry and then one day "POOF" there are a couple bigger ones swimming around. They hide very well if you have enough plants for them.

But def feed them asap! They will eat as soon as they are able to get to the food. Also since they were born probably between 4 and 5 am this morning (mine always deliver around then) they are probably hungry. Post some pics I want to see the little guy/girls...lol. You will be able to sex them in about 2 weeks!!! Here are some pics of my fry tank and my fry. The mollies are getting huge...lol. They all seem to have different hiding spots and not all are out at the same time anymore. I took these from the side of my tank so I could try and sneak up on them...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprimesgurl View Post
Oh...my gosh! I found 2 fry this afternoon. I moved them to the breeder I had as fast as I could. It's been 2 hours and they are swimming around in it protected. I don't even have the 10 gallon set up...so I'm not sure how long I can keep them in there. And when do I start feeding them? I'm still watching for more.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #24 
optimusprimesgurl

Thank you! But I'm so..I don't know. In disbelief?? They're so cute!!! I fed them last night before I went to bed and they were munching away on the smaller flakes. The breeder they are in is just a plastic one with netting. I had no idea the mom was giving birth or who the mom is lol. So I got home and just scooped em' out. The water in the breeder is pretty shallow, but it seems like more than enough they are swimming. I'll be doing a 25% water change today. I am gonna start cycling the 10 gallon, but I'd like to wait til' they're a bit bigger. How often should I feed them too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi85710 View Post
Congrats!!!

Feed them right away. They will either go to the top and get it or wait until it sinks. Just make sure you make the flakes as tiny as possible. You can leave them in there for weeks if you want since you only have 2. It is when you get 40 or so that they will not have much room for long. Just start cycling your 10G right away so you can move them when you want to.

Also I am not sure which breeder you have but make sure if you have the one with the slats on the side that they cannot swim out of it. Also take out the divider that you use to keep the mom from eating them b/c that will give them more room. Then put a small either floating plant or something in with them to make them feel safe. Don't forget to check your water parameters and watch the ammonia levels. Do at least a 25% water change tomorrow. Also add some slime coat to the water to help the mom b/c it is stressful giving birth.

You can watch all day but might never see another fry and then one day "POOF" there are a couple bigger ones swimming around. They hide very well if you have enough plants for them.

But def feed them asap! They will eat as soon as they are able to get to the food. Also since they were born probably between 4 and 5 am this morning (mine always deliver around then) they are probably hungry. Post some pics I want to see the little guy/girls...lol. You will be able to sex them in about 2 weeks!!! Here are some pics of my fry tank and my fry. The mollies are getting huge...lol. They all seem to have different hiding spots and not all are out at the same time anymore. I took these from the side of my tank so I could try and sneak up on them...lol.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #25 
MarinePsycho

Just wanted to suggest that if you ever get tired of trying to catch them with a net, when you are trying to move them to a separate tank to clean their tank or anything like that, try using a DIY fish trap. I just found out about it;

1.) You take a bottle, (Gatorade, Water Bottle, Soda Bottle, etc.)

2.) Cut right on the little dent going around the bottle.

3.) Put fish food in the bottle.

4.) Take the piece you cut off and stick it into the bottle cap first, but be sure to remove the cap.

5.) And there you have it, it should attract fry into it, and possibly some other curious adult fish. The fish won't really notice the huge opening where the cap should be screwed on.

Hope this helped!
MarinePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #26 
optimusprimesgurl

Awesome idea! I'll be sure to use it. I just found a third one. This one is darker colored and is hiding mostly. I just got caught it so hopefully it is more active in the morning.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #27 
optimusprimesgurl

Okay...now I'm worried...now my male is at the bottom...I think they are constipated :/
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #28 
optimusprimesgurl

And now he's swimming. -.- So confusing...all the fry are doing epic...and I have the ten gallon set up. Momma is still showing signs of labor, hiding and lethargic...is this still normal?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #29 
mandi85710

Well glad they are doing well. The males seem to do that sometimes. Did you check your ammonia levels? Remember they can spike when the mom gives birth because there are so many fish added to the tank. You may of caught 2 but she probably had more.

On another thought... I woke up this morning to 2 fry in my main tank. My platy that has never dropped in the 4 months I have had her all of the sudden did. She was never any bigger or anything. So I rescued the 2 and added them to my fry tank. I sold all of my big enough fry so I have room for more now...lol. That does explain a lot as to why my balloon molly female was chasing her around and being really mean to all of my fish. She even bit off the lower fins in front of the anal fin on my platy that had all the fry a couple weeks ago. Poor girl has a big chunk out of her belly. My mom says I should put her out of her misery and put her to sleep b/c she will only stay on the bottom and it doesn't seem like she is eating. I put her in my nurse tank to see if she will start eating. I gave her a veggie wafer so that it is at the bottom and she doesn't have to swim for food. Hopefully between that and the stress coat and aquarium salt she will heal and be ok. I have seen fish with worse that have made it. So I think I am going to give her a few days and then see how she is.

On another note: My guppy that had the 15 babies 2 weeks ago looks like she is going to EXPLODE!!! How on earth she is going to make it another week and a half I have no clue. But the boys are chasing her around like crazy. I might need to move her to the big net breeder just to give her some space and have some peace and quiet from the boys.

Oh my molly that had the fry a few weeks ago. Well I just moved one to the main tank last night. She is so big. She is also a pearl color not silver so I am happy b/c those don't come around very often so I had to keep at least one...lol. My BRP are doing good now too. They are swimming around more and the big one took on the baby as if it were its own so that's good. I was a little worried at first it might bully a little but it doesn't.

OK gotta run I have a Dr's appt. I am glad your fry are doing well. Just don't forget the partial water change and to check your water parameters to make sure your ammonia is not high. That could be another reason your male is one minute on the bottom and the next swimming. So be sure to check them out. OK I will ttys!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #30 
optimusprimesgurl

Smile

Just did. The ammonia is just right. She is swimming around now too now...just really fast. She is still hiding a bit so maybe it was her first time and she is recuperating. I am fasting the adults since they were constipated. The babies are being fed mashed up flakes twice a day and all three are doing well. I am planning on waiting until they are bigger before putting them in the 10 gallon. I'm just not sure if they are big enough for it. It's cycling now and so far so good. Also, how often would you recommend feeding them? I do once in the morning and once at night. Also how much longer before they can go in the full ten gallon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi85710 View Post
Well glad they are doing well. The males seem to do that sometimes. Did you check your ammonia levels? Remember they can spike when the mom gives birth because there are so many fish added to the tank. You may of caught 2 but she probably had more.

On another thought... I woke up this morning to 2 fry in my main tank. My platy that has never dropped in the 4 months I have had her all of the sudden did. She was never any bigger or anything. So I rescued the 2 and added them to my fry tank. I sold all of my big enough fry so I have room for more now...lol. That does explain a lot as to why my balloon molly female was chasing her around and being really mean to all of my fish. She even bit off the lower fins in front of the anal fin on my platy that had all the fry a couple weeks ago. Poor girl has a big chunk out of her belly. My mom says I should put her out of her misery and put her to sleep b/c she will only stay on the bottom and it doesn't seem like she is eating. I put her in my nurse tank to see if she will start eating. I gave her a veggie wafer so that it is at the bottom and she doesn't have to swim for food. Hopefully between that and the stress coat and aquarium salt she will heal and be ok. I have seen fish with worse that have made it. So I think I am going to give her a few days and then see how she is.

On another note: My guppy that had the 15 babies 2 weeks ago looks like she is going to EXPLODE!!! How on earth she is going to make it another week and a half I have no clue. But the boys are chasing her around like crazy. I might need to move her to the big net breeder just to give her some space and have some peace and quiet from the boys.

Oh my molly that had the fry a few weeks ago. Well I just moved one to the main tank last night. She is so big. She is also a pearl color not silver so I am happy b/c those don't come around very often so I had to keep at least one...lol. My BRP are doing good now too. They are swimming around more and the big one took on the baby as if it were its own so that's good. I was a little worried at first it might bully a little but it doesn't.

OK gotta run I have a Dr's appt. I am glad your fry are doing well. Just don't forget the partial water change and to check your water parameters to make sure your ammonia is not high. That could be another reason your male is one minute on the bottom and the next swimming. So be sure to check them out. OK I will ttys!!!

Tags
breeding, first time, mollies