Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #11 
iceyrose

Id guess he's constipated...if its a smooth whie color and not fuzzy patches....maby try some empom salt 1teaspoon per gallon...it has to be fragerance free and humans should be able to drink it.......maby fastem for a few days...good luck with ur betta buddy also what is the tank tamp?
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #12 
blueboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyrose View Post
Id guess he's constipated...if its a smooth whie color and not fuzzy patches....maby try some empom salt 1teaspoon per gallon...it has to be fragerance free and humans should be able to drink it.......maby fastem for a few days...good luck with ur betta buddy also what is the tank tamp?

Hey Iceyrose.....nope not constipated....tank temp at constant 85 degrees...I use the recommended dosage of aquarium salt....I'm a little nervous to add epsom salt....thanks though....I'll check into that...
blueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #13 
kfryman

Why is the aquarium so warm lol?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Hi blueboy. Is your boy bloated? Nothing fuzzy or raised? Usually a discolored belly indicates bloating or stomach troubles. The stomach tends to turn whitish/gray. The golden color is probably natural coloration now. What I'm mostly concerned about is your guy's age. At 3 years old, he'd be considered a very old betta and at that age, a betta's body starts to undergo changes such as color changes, appetite, fin loss, and changes in the levels of activity. I'm worried that these are all signs that your guy's body is starting to shut down. :( I very much hope this isn't the case but I do want to prepare you for this possibility.

Right now, probably the best thing for your guy would be to put him in 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon as icyrose suggests. Epsom salt will help leech out any toxins in his body to aid in preventing bloating. Make sure the water is warm, around 78-80 degrees, and keep his tank dim and quiet so he can rest. If he starts to show trouble of reaching the surface to breathe, you can lower the water level as much as necessary.

Since you've already treated him with Furan-2, which is a pretty good antibiotic, I don't think medications will help. Instead, go with the epsom salt and if you can, try to add tannins to the water. You can get tannins from Indian Almond Leaf or from naturally dried, clean oak leaves. You can just crumble the oak leaves up into the water until it changes to a tea color. Tannins have some antimicrobial properties and they also turn the water the same color as the water found in a betta's natural habitat.

Keep trying to feed him. Change the water as often as possible, too, redosing the epsom salts as necessary.

I hope this advice helps you. Keep us updated and good luck. Definitely let us know if his behavior changes in any way.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #15 
iceyrose

Well it seemd like ur taking the proper precautions...with the meds & aquariuum salt...I dunno about putting the two salts together that dosnt seem like a good plan....maby don't feedem for a few days that seemed to help with my guy....my guys has a swollen belly again:( too...maby don't feedem for a few days and try everyother day...I used the teaspoon per gallon with empom salt there's about 4.5 gallons in the tank now I put 5 teaspoons in and no #2 for about week n a half or two....the filters don't absorbe the empsom salt do they? Good luck with ur betta buddy....how long have u hadem on the aquarium salt? Make shur u don't go past 14days the salt can effect the bettas kidneys for so I read.
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #16 
blueboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi blueboy. Is your boy bloated? Nothing fuzzy or raised? Usually a discolored belly indicates bloating or stomach troubles. The stomach tends to turn whitish/gray. The golden color is probably natural coloration now. What I'm mostly concerned about is your guy's age. At 3 years old, he'd be considered a very old betta and at that age, a betta's body starts to undergo changes such as color changes, appetite, fin loss, and changes in the levels of activity. I'm worried that these are all signs that your guy's body is starting to shut down. :( I very much hope this isn't the case but I do want to prepare you for this possibility.

Right now, probably the best thing for your guy would be to put him in 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon as icyrose suggests. Epsom salt will help leech out any toxins in his body to aid in preventing bloating. Make sure the water is warm, around 78-80 degrees, and keep his tank dim and quiet so he can rest. If he starts to show trouble of reaching the surface to breathe, you can lower the water level as much as necessary.

Since you've already treated him with Furan-2, which is a pretty good antibiotic, I don't think medications will help. Instead, go with the epsom salt and if you can, try to add tannins to the water. You can get tannins from Indian Almond Leaf or from naturally dried, clean oak leaves. You can just crumble the oak leaves up into the water until it changes to a tea color. Tannins have some antimicrobial properties and they also turn the water the same color as the water found in a betta's natural habitat.

Keep trying to feed him. Change the water as often as possible, too, redosing the epsom salts as necessary.

I hope this advice helps you. Keep us updated and good luck. Definitely let us know if his behavior changes in any way.
Thanks very much for the advice! I will try that. I actually think he's closer to 4yrs of age...eee gads....about the bloating thing...giggle...I actually over fed him when I first rescued him from my daughter and he's just stayed looking that way....he was quite the piggy....I've seen his feces so I know he's not bloated....I'll let you know how it's going....thanks again to you and Iceyrose :)
Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Goodness, at 4 years old, he's positively ancient. Well, Blueboy, you must be doinng something right since he's lived to such a ripe old age. :) How's the old man doing now?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #18 
blueboy

Hi Sakura8.....thanks...I've tried to keep him happy :) I'm more attached to him than some people I know...lol....since I last messaged you...he was on day two of the antibiotics and not doing well....sitting at bottom and breathing hard...back to the top for some O2 then back down...so did a 50% water change and put a fresh charcoal and sponge filter in to get rid of the meds...he perked up last night...swimming a bit and back to resting at the surface in his leaves...still has that big lightened area on underbelly...he does miss his lunges for his food lately....as though his vision is gone....this am I checked on him early am and I honestly thought he had passed peacefully in his sleep....touched the water near him and nothing...petted him a couple times and nothing....was so sad...then came home at lunch and wanted to check again and he came to life....ate a pellet..and swam a bit...but has been resting the rest of today as far as I can tell....would old age effect him this quickly over a week or so??? TTFN
Old 04-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #19 
Sakura8

Wow, way to scare you, huh? I'm glad he was still alive when you checked on him again.

I imagine old age probably affects every betta differently. It does seem a bit odd that the symptoms came on so fast so I wonder if he has a bit of a bacterial infection. Just like a healthy old man can be fine but if he gets a cold, he might spiral downward pretty fast and be gone within a week (happened to more than one older relative of mine).

The best advice I can tell you now is to just make him as comfortable as possible. Warm, clean water, quiet tank. Since he didn't seem to do well in the antibiotics, I'm reluctant to try them again. If you do, maybe try it at half strength.