Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 AM   #1 
Mo

Guppies and Bettas

With so many people concerned with regards to whether or not guppies will be fine with there Male bettas, I decided to create this thread to aid people away from having this potentially deadly mix, and from thinking there "peaceful" betta will do fine with fancy guppies

Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

That light guppy?! Makes me worry about having male endlers.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #3 
Mo

Yes. the fish was brutally attacked and nipped badly
Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Are you separating the guppy and betta? :s
Would platies be a better option than guppies/endlers?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #5 
Edifiler

To be honest, whether you can have guppies with your betta fish really depends on the personality of your betta and the tank set up. With adequate space and a non aggressive betta, it might work. Some people, including myself have managed to keep bettas with guppies, I know it might not work for many and yes I understand that people would rather tell others to not do this to prevent any casualty but there really is no one way of keeping fish is there? Some things works for others and some doesnt. You just have to experiment and keep a close eye on it.
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #6 
Mo

While you are correct regarding them being compatible with each other depending on the individual personality of the Betta itself I disagree with you in many ways as even a relatively peaceful betta such as the one that was with the guppies can still become aggressive towards them as there are no facts, ways to test, or precautions to take to ensure that every individual Betta will or will not be compatible with the given species. in this case I had what I though was a peaceful Betta that interacted and lived happily with Gourami's. So I thought that he would be okay in my guppy tank, yet he still attacked them and to what I thought wouldn't happen happened. I would never recommend this case as you can already see, a peaceful Betta can become an aggressive one in different given situations so experimenting can result in death, disease, or stress. I wouldn't recommend this even if you have what seems as if to be a peaceful Betta, Because almost anything can turn and go wrong.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I keep lots of Bettas and fancy tail guppies together all the time without issue-I have never had a Betta confuse species-I have had male guppies go after long fin male Betta more than anything. Usually the guppy is much faster than the Betta and can get away.

The problems I see with keeping guppies and Betta together is more related to tank size-but this is with any species of fish kept with the Betta....In 10gal tanks you don't have enough space for the other species to get away from each other-allowing them to be cornered and/or stressed in the smaller space-they get in each others way.

The 10gal being the smallest tank size that is recommended to use for mixed species along with the Betta-you hear more often about how the Betta attacks-injuring other species-sometimes they are falsely accused and its another guppy nipping the guppy tail-true Bettas are an aggressive species with their own species-but usually they are fairly passive with other species unless they feel cramped or threatened.

Same with Neon kept with Bettas in a 10gal-while it can sometimes work-often the stress weaken the Neon allowing the Betta to catch it-usually a Betta can't eat a full grown Neon since they are well over 1inch in size-but the weaken Neon can be caught and killed or it dies and the Betta is seen picking at it and gets blamed for killing it.....A healthy Neon usually can't be caught by the slower moving Betta if they have enough space to get away......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #8 
JuliansMomma

I'm new to the fish world, hello! I have a small female guppy in with my Betta. I'm keeping a close eye on them. I'm considering taking Julian out and putting him in a tank I used to use for my one goldfish I used to have 'cause I'm stressing about it a little, terrified I'm going to wake up and find Isobelle dead! I don't have any gravel or nothing for the other tank though, it would just be a filter and a couple of small ornaments, and I only just started a new job and have no money..
JuliansMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think you should separate them, since you can. I'd get your guppy some more friends, shed appreciate it. You can get all females to avoid breeding if you don't want that. Your betta won't mind a drab tank, as long as it's heated. :)
Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #10 
JuliansMomma

I don't have a heater! It's literally a little tank with a little filter, that's all. I'll see about getting one soon as I can though, thanks for the advice.
JuliansMomma is offline   Reply With Quote