Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #1 
EKandRJ

live plants?

Is it ok to put live plants in with bettas? The pet stores sell plants that they say are betta-friendly. How does having the plants in there affect changing the water? or do you need a filter with the plants?

Thanks!
EKandRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #2 
agent89201

Of course! Betta fish love live plants! Live plants create oxygen for the tank and create shelter and places for your betta to hide in. They can also help with natural filtration of your tank. You don't need a filter if you have live plants (for most of them anyway). If you're looking for a plant to help keep your tank clean, Marimo balls or moss balls are really simple and quirky. I've heard good things. Some people like the look of live plants better, but they require slightly more effort than fake plants. There are some easy plants to take care of though. You should have the correct lighting for your plants (a lesson I just learned) in order for them to survive. Here is the "easy plant guide" sticky. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428

Last edited by agent89201; 01-11-2012 at 06:07 PM.
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

I have never had anything but good results from adding plants with all my fish (bettas included). Generally, I don't take the advice of pet stores; I do my own research and learn from others experiences. Plants remove ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate from the water. You should have only nitrate if your tank is cycled. This will improve your water quality. I have plants in tanks that have filters and some that don't. Plants don't need a filter. The only thing plants need is light. Either an overhead/hood light or a few hours of natural sunlight daily.

One of my favorite plants to keep with bettas is anubias. It's commonly found at pet stores and is very hardy. It had very low light requirements and doesn't need any other fertilizers. Bettas also like to rest on the large leaves.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #4 
agent89201

Also, like thekoimaiden said, you should do your own research or ask members of the site what they recommend before buying a plant and putting it in your tank. Petstore employees usually don't care about whether the plant will work in the tank. Their main goal is to SELL. Also, try to avoid things sold in tubes. They are usually not fully aquatic and will rot in your tank.
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #5 
Badjer

I just recently got some plants...anubias are probably my favorite, closely followed by Amazon Swords (which grow so quickly that every time I glance at mine, I do a double take because it changes so quick!). Java ferns are also easy to care for.

Don't be scared about adding live plants...fish love them and they really are quite easy. I'll definitely never use fake plants again.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Live plants are really good - I have live plants in all of my tanks and they look nicer, the fish prefer them and they help water quality. Don't be fooled into thinking they will do the job of a filter though- they help, but unless your tank is really heavily planted and very lightly stocked, they don't replace a filter.

Some good beginner plants:
- java fern
- java moss
- anubias
- elodea (also called anacharis)
- lacefern
- crypts
- some sword plants
- rotala
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #7 
EKandRJ

When you have live plants, how do you need to consider them when changing the water? Do you just do the water changes the same as normal?
EKandRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

I just change the water as normal. I do try not to pour the new water on the plants as it could uproot or disturb them. When I get them just where I want them, I don't like to have to place them again.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I highly recommend quarantining all new live plants for at least a week (up to 2 weeks) to ensure no parasites, or pest snails get into your tank. Pest snails aren't really harmful (I squish 'em and the betta'll eat them ) but can be a nuisance to you.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #10 
PenguinsCanFlyy

Will it be better to use, Gravel or Sand for a planted aquarium?
PenguinsCanFlyy is offline   Reply With Quote