Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #1 
PandaBetta

Question Moss question??

Hi everyone I am trying to figure out the difference between java moss and christmas moss... If u could help me I would apriciate it :)
PandaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

Christmas moss just makes a funnier looking shape with its leaves(triangles, that look like christmas trees[hence the name]). That is just about it.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #3 
PandaBetta

Thank you Zergy I taught their was something more about it I kind of like the look of it so might try it out
Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

It is a very attractive moss. I've been drooling over Amano scapes lately and I really want some Willow Moss.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #5 
Mo

Java moss is also a somewhat easier plant to care for with minimal amounts of needs, growing in environments with little light, no Co2, and no added fertilizers. Where as christmass moss has somewhat higher requirements and Does much better with a set up with medium light, fertilizers, and little Co2. It can survive in a tank setup such as the one java moss can grow in yet it will grow by weakly
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Also if you have a low light set up, Christmas moss loses it's Christmas-y shape.

I saw a book on Amano's complete works since he started. I WANT IT. But it costs +$60 in Chapters. But he is my idol, the reason I got into fish. Even though I haven't produced anything like his tanks ;)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #7 
PandaBetta

I think I have desent lighting and I use liquid fertilizer. The only thing I don't have is a Co2 system
Old 03-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #8 
Mo

Then both plants should do fairly well In that type of given habitat
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #9 
ravenwinds

Aquabid has many different mosses...I went a little crazy, but now I have a place for them all...I just bought supplies to change my store bought dividers into more permanent ones and I will make a pouch with second screen and fill it with mosses to make moss wall dividers...thanks to a couple of threads and thekoimaiden! I will get some pics and post them...I will be doing this to 3 10 gallon tanks...I am very excited ;))
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote