Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #1 
bettaboyshiva

Arrow | Red river crab i caught at the run off at the dam|

>=(. .)=< <- like my crab lol!

well i went to get some ghost shrimp and i found this guy in the run off...where the water was drying out..he would have died if i hadn't gone to the dam..he is a water crab..so yea he was in trouble. i thought maybe i could keep him and feed him scraps from the tetras i feed to my catfishes.

bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #2 
Mo

A bit small of a washing bowl, don't you think? If a Betta won't appreciate a tank of that size then I highly doubt that any type of living sea creature of that size will appreciate a bowl of any size unless larger than 10 gallons
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #3 
bettaboyshiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
A bit small of a washing bowl, don't you think? If a Betta won't appreciate a tank of that size then I highly doubt that any type of living sea creature of that size will appreciate a bowl of any size unless larger than 10 gallons

umm i just placed it in there to get some pictures since he is fiesty...and its not a SEA creature...its a "river" crab...means that it lives in fresh water..and bettas appreciate bowls of that size....it holds approx 1 gallon of water..oh and the crab lives in a 5 gallon bucket where he is treated well so i assure you he is well taken care of.. thanx for your concerns.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #4 
Mo

Sorry, I accidentally typed in sea creature, I meant creature. Also IMO, bettas don't do as better as they would in a larger tank such as a 15 gallon+ opposed to a smaller one such as a 1 gallon. I can speak first hand in this situation, I manage to keep all of my bettas healthy in 15 gallon+ tanks with heating, filteration, heavily planting, and soft acidic water which is ideally the prefered habitat by Bettas IME
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

OMG I love him. I love all the wildlife around you, haha you are so lucky!
I think maybe you should give him a way to get up on land, maybe a piece of wood, I know even some water crabs need to come up for air every now and then (fiddler crabs for example) :)
The one claw bigger than the other either means it's a male, or it lost a claw at one point and it regrew. I think it's pretty crazy that they can just grow their legs back.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #6 
bettaboyshiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Sorry, I accidentally typed in sea creature, I meant creature. Also IMO, bettas don't do as better as they would in a larger tank such as a 15 gallon+ opposed to a smaller one such as a 1 gallon. I can speak first hand in this situation, I manage to keep all of my bettas healthy in 15 gallon+ tanks with heating, filteration, heavily planting, and soft acidic water which is ideally the prefered habitat by Bettas IME
well its good that you have all that for your bettas :) but i have a fish room and its loaded with adult bettas..most in 1 and 2 gallon tanks and all seem to be fine...most of my bettas live their complete life span 3 -4 years. All my bettas are brightly coloured and are fasr from sick or denied anything they need. I have big tanks...but they have predatory fish...
Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #7 
bettaboyshiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
OMG I love him. I love all the wildlife around you, haha you are so lucky!
I think maybe you should give him a way to get up on land, maybe a piece of wood, I know even some water crabs need to come up for air every now and then (fiddler crabs for example) :)
The one claw bigger than the other either means it's a male, or it lost a claw at one point and it regrew. I think it's pretty crazy that they can just grow their legs back.

i always catch red crabs but i decided to keep this guy because he is probably close to the end of his life span anyways..they live for a few years..Oh and he loves to eat dead tetra lol...
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

So is he max size?
Weird question, but can you eat them? I love crab meat hahaha.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #9 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaboyshiva View Post
well its good that you have all that for your bettas :) but i have a fish room and its loaded with adult bettas..most in 1 and 2 gallon tanks and all seem to be fine...most of my bettas live their complete life span 3 -4 years. All my bettas are brightly coloured and are fasr from sick or denied anything they need. I have big tanks...but they have predatory fish...
Also because you're a breeder and if you had 15 gallons for each of your bettas that would be extremely difficult to have all your fry in each 15 gallon. I understand why you would have them in 1 gallon bowls.

@MO: That's really cool. Do you have a sorority of them or each male/female in a 15 gallon?

Your crab is amazing. Pretty color as well.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #10 
Mo

Yes, I have each one to a 15 gallon, well.... One is temporarily in a 5 until his fins heal, in about 2 weeks I will give him his permanent set up