Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #1 
belladragon

A better filter for critter keeper tank?

I had my betta for almost a week now and I'm using the 3.2 gallon critter keeper as his home.

I find him to be a wonderful pet except for one little detail: the tetra whisper 3i filter I'm using is driving me nuts! The pump is extremely loud and viberates against everything. The filter makes loud obnoxious bubbles and it is...just annoying. At night, I prop up a large mirror against to the bookshelf the tank is on to drown out the noise enough so I can sleep!!

Can someone suggest me a different filter?!
belladragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

I have the Marina slim s10 filter and it is virtually silent. It might be a little big but it's a really nice filter and you can adjust the flow
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #3 
ZergyMonster

You can even go without a filter because most of the time you will only need a filter if you're trying to cycle your tank. And even if you are trying to cycle your tank, it will be very unstable and suspect to crash quite easily.

I do a 50% and 100% water change each week without a filter and it keeps my 2.5 gallon KK fine enough for my betta to be happy.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #4 
belladragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I do a 50% and 100% water change each week without a filter and it keeps my 2.5 gallon KK fine enough for my betta to be happy.
Do you mean I do 50% change one week and a 100% another week or does both water changes happen in the same week??
Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #5 
ZergyMonster

same week. 50% Wednesday or Thursday and a 100% on Sunday.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #6 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladragon View Post
Do you mean I do 50% change one week and a 100% another week or does both water changes happen in the same week??
with your size i would do a 50% once a week, or cut it to 5 days if you wish. i actually got a water testing kit with 800 uses and i let my tank go without cleaning an entire week. i have a betta and a ton of ghost shrimp in there.

the levels were all zero. i have one of those marina slim filters.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #7 
JBosley

I had the same problem! Those filters are horrible

I ended up deciding to go filter-less. I do a 50% change once a week, and then the following week I do 100%. I know this isn't what most people suggest, but my parents FREAK if I do 50% and then 100% in the same week (as I have 3 fish in 3 tanks...). They all seem to do fine with this! I also take out left over food and waste with a turkey baster

I have 1 5 gallon tank, and 2 1.5 gallon Critter Keepers
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #8 
ZergyMonster

I don't see why parents care so much, one flush of the toilet takes on average 2 gallons of water. And a shower can take up to 10 gallons depending on the duration. So go without showering for a day and say "I'm saving that water for my fish!"
Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #9 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I don't see why parents care so much, one flush of the toilet takes on average 2 gallons of water. And a shower can take up to 10 gallons depending on the duration. So go without showering for a day and say "I'm saving that water for my fish!"
Because our water bills have been outrageous *rolls eyes* We're limited to short showers, have to do laundry at certain hours and such.

My fish seem fine with this regiment Especially Dragonfly! He gets soooo stressed when he has to be cupped, the poor guy.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #10 
belladragon

Thanks for your advice people! I think I'm gonna go filter-less since this crap of a filter is going straight back to Petsmart tomorrow! I'm gonna alternate between 50% and 100% weekly water changes instead.

BTW I also use a turkey baster too! It is my best friend for cleaning~!

Last edited by belladragon; 04-01-2012 at 02:33 PM.