Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #11 
kfryman

I think you have one part of the fish keeping down. Just before getting a fish do your research, you will be surprised how much easier it is.

I would get a 15 gallon, there is a kit at Petco that is cheap and comes with everything. I would add the filter you us e in the 5 gallon with the one that comes with the 15 gallon Tetra if you do. The filter is for a smaller tank.

I don't know where you found information on the tank comparability, because people on here never advise any fish mates for 5 gallons besides inverts and snails.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #12 
Pogthefish

I think if u save up for a tank and find a place, it should take a couple weeks, and u r fish will be fune untill then. I got one o those things u hang on the side of ur tank for baby fish and i put ym betta(s) in there while i feed the tetras and other animals.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #13 
inareverie85

My fish are spoiled. ~_~ My bettas are used to taking food from my feeding tongs directly, so they don't bother the other fish, really. They just wait for the food to come to them.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Same here - mine take their food directly from my hands/utensil, and the other fish I sometimes have with them ate what fell in front of them
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #15 
Pogthefish

i put my betta girls in a hospital tank to feed, which also adds amonia to keep it cycled and the tetras eat with ease ^_^
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #16 
PersuAzN

Bioload experience wise... It's not recommended but it CAN work. I know a few advanced teenaged hobbyists who do 10 % water changes every 3 days in a 6 gal housing 5 neons and a betta male live plants and the water tests are always good. 0 accross the board. It's been thriving for a year now. You just have to tend to it more often.
PersuAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

For that example you gave, neon tetras are super active and should never be housed in less than 10 gallons, 20 being better, 30 being best. Personally I'd have to say I wouldn't care if someone had 40 years in fish keeping or 2 years in fish keeping, were beginner or advanced, it goes along the lines of "they can survive, but can they thrive?" I know people who have had goldfish live up to 5-10 years in a bowl. Doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. If I come across as mean sorry :) I just don't want to see more stunted fish, sick fish, or stressed fish.

Also, OP what I find works best for feeding time.... is a wider feeding area... I found it more difficult for a few guppies and a betta to be together and not get on each other's nerves (or like you found with your skinny glofish who won't get food) in a smaller space, than a larger one. In a larger space, there is more room to feed. That's also why I love my long tanks
Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #18 
NoahG

You could try what we do at work: mix the flake food with a bit of water and feed it under the surface with a baster-type tool. You can still feed your betta at the surface with the pellets and the flakes will reach the danios who typically make short work so long as you don't feed too much; it also spreads it out a bit, giving your smaller ones a better chance. Just feed a little at a time until you're satisfied they've had enough.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

I found my one male, Spartan, had been with danios and he wasn't getting food since the danios swarmed. He got tired of it, head butted them, and they backed off xD eventually they should get it figured out what's what and who's who.