Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #1 
Pucky21811

Happy Sight at Petsmart!

I know we hate how much pet stores like Wal Mart, Petsmart, etc push the tiny little 1 gallons or less for the fish, however I have to report my local Petsmart:

-The .8 gal cubes by Marina is in somewhat of the back of the store; more near the bird section than the fish section. The tanks around the bettas are still small, but not that small.

-There wasn't a Medium sized Kritter Keeper available on Wednesday when I was getting my new little girl, so I strolled into the glass bowl/tank section, and came across a 2.5 gal glass tank. I don't know if anyone else knew this existed, but I was very happy, and it was only about $14.

I guess this tank comes with accesories (I thought you bought them separately) one being a lid with air holes in it, I guess. Unfortunately, mine happened to come with a glass divider. Yeah, a divider for a 2.5 gal. Not happening. That was my only complaint.

My little girl is very happy here. I am happy to see this tank size has been created. Am I bringing no new news?
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #2 
Leeniex

My 2.5's came with a glass that could be either a divider or a lid. Was there a little handle that can be applied to the top to lift the lid?

Last time I was at Petsmart, they had those tiny cubes on the same end-cap as the bettas. I pushed them back on the shelf with my foot so they were hidden, lol.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #3 
Pucky21811

No mine didn't come with a handle... The only "Accessory," that came with Winnie's tank was the divider, so now I just have a glass divider sitting around in my room waiting for a use, cause its not going to be a little divider like that. A lid would have been nice though; Plastic/Veggie Wrap isn't really aesthetically appealing. :)

Yeah, while they were advertising the (EVEN MORE ABYSMAL) one or two 1/2 gal divided, with two sick fish in there to contaminate and stress each other out, but the .8 Marina Cube was farther back in the store. I bought a cute plant from them. (I know, I probably shouldn't give them any of money, but the plastic plant was cute and my girl loves it) Ah well, we're getting places I guess...
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #4 
kfish

I love big (2g+) glass bowls! I want one and another betta! Needs a job/money first! ;) Bettas just look lovely in large bowls with lots of live plants (well, they look lovely all the time XD).

I applied to work at the local Petsmart as a pet care associate, in hopes of helping the fishies (and I totally could have made them some money by convincing people to buy bigger tanks/heaters). It pisses me off that they never called me and instead hire people with little to no experience. I had a full write-up of pet care experience, the length of my life, and even wrote out detailed info of fish knowledge. I even have SALES experience. >_< I've had almost every type of pet they sell there! /endrant
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #5 
Pucky21811

I have to agree; while I have had yet applied there, I'm thinking about it. I would think that people who work at Petsmart actually care/know what they're doing about animals. But no, when I asked where the the vacation feeders were the girl who was picking at her nails just looked at me like I was Medusa, then called some other girl to see if I could, "help me." No, they didn't have anymore. Wow, she couldn't have told me that? Goodness... I know if I have any questions that's always how I'm treated in there. I can't be alone.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #6 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucky21811 View Post
I have to agree; while I have had yet applied there, I'm thinking about it. I would think that people who work at Petsmart actually care/know what they're doing about animals. But no, when I asked where the the vacation feeders were the girl who was picking at her nails just looked at me like I was Medusa, then called some other girl to see if I could, "help me." No, they didn't have anymore. Wow, she couldn't have told me that? Goodness... I know if I have any questions that's always how I'm treated in there. I can't be alone.
I'm going to try my luck at Petco (their bettas/animals are prettier and better taken care of, anyway) and local pet stores. Petsmart was hiring and is much closer to my apartment, though, so I really thought I would get it, with the wealth of experience I have. grrr
Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
I'm going to try my luck at Petco (their bettas/animals are prettier and better taken care of, anyway) and local pet stores. Petsmart was hiring and is much closer to my apartment, though, so I really thought I would get it, with the wealth of experience I have. grrr
I've recruited people for my job quite a few times so I wanted to give you a bit of advice which might be helpful... or not.
Remember that more than a petstore, these companies are all about customer service. When recruiting I concentrate more on your people skills and multitasking ability than your technical experience. Yes, I want the basic tech knowledge but I can teach you all you need to know to work at my company. What I cannot teach you is how to treat people or how to organize your toughts to save time while working on multiple tasks.
Bets of luck!!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #8 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
I've recruited people for my job quite a few times so I wanted to give you a bit of advice which might be helpful... or not.
Remember that more than a petstore, these companies are all about customer service. When recruiting I concentrate more on your people skills and multitasking ability than your technical experience. Yes, I want the basic tech knowledge but I can teach you all you need to know to work at my company. What I cannot teach you is how to treat people or how to organize your toughts to save time while working on multiple tasks.
Bets of luck!!
Thank you! I did highlight that... I've taught A+ certification (computer classes) for 6 years at a non-profit organization, so I have TONS of experience dealing with people/customers and multi-tasking while having 20 people with their hands in computers trying to help them all. XD
Old 04-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I applied for a job at Petsmart. I haven't heard back from them yet.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote