Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #1 
inareverie85

Some of my bettas' houses :)

First, my 27G. Home to Fugu the lucky-finned half-dumbo halfmoon :) One of my very favorite bettas. His roommates are Threadfin Rainbows, Otocinclus, Cherry Shrimp, and Nerite Snails.

Next, my 15G. Home to Bento, probably my most mild-mannered, sweet boy. He hangs with Furcata Rainbows, Sterba's Cories, Otocinclus Cats, and Nerite Snails.

Don't mind the guppies. I was holding them in there temporarily. :)

And finally, the last of my planted tanks so far, Sashimi's 8G. He's my first betta since returning to the hobby, and he's my fussiest. Got him from a wal-mart, full of fin rot and scared to death. He hangs with his Nerite Snails :P Don't mind the brown gunk at the bottom. They're diatoms - a common algae in newer planted setups.

My tanks aren't nearly as beautiful as many other planted tanks, but I'm still learning. :) I'll post new photos to this thread whenever I do major maintenance, trims, and updates. Plants grow out quickly, so the tanks are likely to change rather often!

Hope you enjoy! :)
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #2 
Micho

Holy Jesus, your tanks are gorgeous.

Like I'm not even joking here.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #3 
kfryman

Just saying you have an eye for balance. Great aquascaping work though, those are some lucky bettas.

How big do those rainbows get?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #4 
Ianthe

What is that your otos are eating? I'm always trying to think of treat ideas for mine! :)
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #5 
inareverie85

They're already full-grown. The threadfins get to be about 1.5 inches, and the furcatas a little smaller. Some sites say they can be about 2 inches, but I've never had one anywhere near that big.

And thank you for the compliments! :)

My otos are munching on some zucchini that I sunk with a plant weight. I drop one in the tank every 10 days or so and leave it there for about 36-48 hours. It takes about 12-24 hours for it to become soft enough for a real crowd to begin eating. Your snails would also appreciate it as well :)

Last edited by inareverie85; 03-31-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:03 AM   #6 
MysticMuffin

So pretty =] I love how the first tank is so green on the bottom.
MysticMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Dumb question but how do you gravel siphon without pulling up those things growing on the ground?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #8 
inareverie85

Thanks, guys :)

And Tikibirds, if the plants aren't well-rooted yet.. very carefully! Lol!
Basically, when I first planted the plants that are covering the front of the aquarium's gravel I used a tiny siphon intended for a 5g. It took ages to change the water in the tank, but since the plant wasn't rooted yet, I didnt want to pull it out :P It also helped that I didn't stock the tank until the plants were decently established. Siphoning was important, but not nearly as important without any fish in there :P

Now I can siphon full-force and move the plants around as I do so. They're rooted so firmly into the substrate that they won't come up unless I physically pull them out. :)

Last edited by inareverie85; 03-31-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #9 
Kim

I haven't posted on here in ages but I absolutely must say that your tanks are GORGEOUS!!!! I love the carpet effect you were able to achieve with those low lying plants!
If I wasn't insanely busy right now I would totally be tempted try a planted tank again ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

.... wow.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote