Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #1 
SageMyster

Smile Betta Games & Toys?

Hello! I'm looking into getting/making some toys for my Betta boys. I tried the ping-pong ball on both Harlot and Merlotte, and while both were fascinated for maybe five minutes, they didn't do much with it. Harlot never used his hammock, though Merlotte couldn't live without his. Today I rescued two new boys, Calvin and Katniss, and I'm hoping they're a playful pair.

I love all my Betta and I want to keep them entertained; particularly Harlot, because he shreds his fins when he's bored. So, do any of you have some ideas? Any new products I'm not aware of? Games for me and my handsomes?

Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #2 
IndeedPanda

I have the R2 fish school and that is what I use to keep my betta entertained. Might also try a Betta Log, or even a marimo moss ball (I hear some bettas play with them).
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #3 
Betta16

I like to feed my boys useing a smooth rouned chopstick that i put a foodpelit on. they chase the stick and well even jump to get the stick. also try useing a feeder ring and you can get some bettas to jump or swim throu the ring for food. for play time when ur not feeding i found most of my boys like glass pipes to swim and hide in. moss balls are also fun. and some times if i find i have a betta that just is always bored I put 3 of my Albino Catfish in with them and that always seems to purk the boy up and keep them busy. Poor catfish my boy Shadow always has to start chaseing them as soon as they get settled lol he likes to gather them up like a dog with sheep.
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMyster View Post
Hello! I'm looking into getting/making some toys for my Betta boys. I tried the ping-pong ball on both Harlot and Merlotte, and while both were fascinated for maybe five minutes, they didn't do much with it. Harlot never used his hammock, though Merlotte couldn't live without his. Today I rescued two new boys, Calvin and Katniss, and I'm hoping they're a playful pair.

I love all my Betta and I want to keep them entertained; particularly Harlot, because he shreds his fins when he's bored. So, do any of you have some ideas? Any new products I'm not aware of? Games for me and my handsomes?

Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
As far as toys, I have one boy who doesn't flare much, so I stick a zoo med betta mirror in his aquarium for about 5 mins (I leave the area during this time so he'll pay attention to the mirror) and it gets him to flare.

Also, I sometimes use my fingers for games at times. I was trying to rearrange an ornament the other day and while my hand was still in there, I closed my fingers, waited for my betta, and would open them up really quickly when he came near. Also, a little finger wiggle in the tank looks like a worm (or so I'm guessing) and most bettas will dart after the finger (WARNING: Nip Advisory - you may get bitten, doesn't hurt though).

One other recommendation is a heavily decorated tank. Lots of plants (fake or live) give your boys plenty of roaming space, which may reduce boredom.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #5 
SageMyster

Thank you all for these suggestions! I'm going to keep my eyes open for items around the house that can be used to play with them, and I'll go on Amazon right now regarding some of these toys.

Do any of you know what Betta are supposed to do with ping-pong balls?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

KATNISS?!?!?! oh no hunger games -_- but i hav considered that name 2 ;)

Pog likes wen i put his tank by the girls tak.. stalker ;)

change around the decor often, and try feeding live mosquito larvae/pupae, they love itt XD

what do you mean by hammock?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #7 
SageMyster

Y'know, those hammock leaves they sell at PetSmart? Merlotte loves them.

And haha, thanks. Glad you like the name. ;)
Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #8 
Zero186

Both my guys have the betta floating logs and have heavily planted tanks. Both are in high traffic areas to keep them always interested on what's going on outside the tank. They always seem happy and active and like to swim through, and explore the plants.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

wat d they DO with the hammocks?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #10 
SageMyster

Zero, just bought some plants today, I think my boys like them. :]

Pog, they like to rest on the hammocks, like sleeping areas. It's so they're closer to the top to get air when they're drowzy.