Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #1 
xtina127

20 Gallon Aquirum.

I have a 20 Gallon Aquirum and one male Betta currently.
I bought a divider for the aquirum.
I have a filter and heater in there.
What fish could I put onto the opposite side of the divider?
I was thinking another male betta? or Neon tetras? or goupies?
Can those fish live side by side in a heated aquirum?
I have lots of plants currently in there and bought extras to go by the dividers so they can not see each other.

As well This is a picture of the aquirum currently with out the divider I plan to put the divider in this friday and leave it there for a week or so before getting the new fish so my current will be used to the arrangement.
Attached Images

xtina127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #2 
Mo

Leaving the tank t it's full potential would more so result in the best actions and behaviors concerning your fish. Also we need to know a bit more information on your tank to properly creat a good list for you

PH, and hardness?
Tank dimensions?
How long has the tank been set up
Water parameters?
Tank temperature?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #3 
xtina127

Tank dimensions? It is a 20 Gallon thats all I know.

How long has the tank been set up. I have had my betta in this aquirum sence January this year but hade it running for a few months with the heater and filter going before I got my betta.

Tank temperature? 78-80
Old 04-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #4 
Mo

How long, wide, and tall is the tank.
What's the PH, and hardness
What's the water parameters

We can't go depicting on what type of fish would suit this tank without vital information, as if you had very hard, alkaline water, will affect what type if fish that you could choose from
Old 04-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

From the pic, it looks like a 20G TALL. I can be wrong but it does not look as long as mine which is a 20G LONG. No idea what the dimensions are for either though
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #6 
xtina127

I have chosen to hold off on getting another fish for a while I dont think it would be fair to take away half of his home when he is used to having the full to himself.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I agree with Mo, Xtina - I think it would be nice to leave the tank undivided and make it into a community. Some tetras and cories would be nice, if your water is right for them. :) Your local council may have information on the general hardness (GH), carbonate hardness (KH) and pH of your water. Mine did.
It is important to know these things as they do affect what tankmates you can have. For instance, most tetras will not live as long or be as healthy in hard water, whereas livebearers live guppies won't be as healthy in soft water. Some fish are also pH sensitive.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #8 
xtina127

I would not put other fish in with him he might hurt them I dont want that so he will have his home all to himself for the rest of his life. my next fish will have half of the 20 Gallon each from the start Two males bettas I think..
Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #9 
SweetNightmare

Actually, bettas can live quite peacefully with community fish, like tetras, cory cats, and the more plain colored guppies. As long as you dont put anything that looks like a betta in with him, he'll be fine. If you're really worried, then just put a school of cory catfish with him. They're peaceful bottom feeders that get along with most fish. Add in that bettas mainly stay at the top, though they will explore sometimes, and there's no real fighting. While my betta was a little worried over his guppy friends, he pays no notice to the cory. (I'm getting the rest of the school tomorrow; dont ever keep them alone!) Bettas are not vicious killers of all fish like some would have you believe. I was worried about adding fish to my betta's home, but they get along great and it makes the tank all the more beautiful.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #10 
Mo

I'm suprised at the given amount of people suggesting fish such as corydoras. This is very easy thing to remember that the majority of fish keepers know. They ideally should be placed in a sand substrate tank due to marbles, and gravel irritatin there bellies leading to fungal infection and wearing away there barbels