Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #1 
Crownvail

Black Moor Goldfish

Hello everyone...

Regarding the Black Moor Goldfish, Anyone know how to tell the females and males? Also, anyone know about breeding them?? Need help Thanks all
Crownvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Goldfish can only be reliably sexed when they are breeding. Males will develop breeding stars, raised white spots on the gill covers and will begin chasing females. The shape of the vent will also change. Female's vents will become convex and male's vents will become concave. A lot of breeders say that goldfish tend to spawn around the full moon. Sexing Gold fish Generally goldfish will spawn any time they are kept in mixed-sex groups and have good housing and food. A lot of goldfish keepers I know have had surprise spawns. I like to keep all one sex to prevent any of that.

Do you know what you are getting into with both keeping goldfish as well as breeding them? Goldfish grow fast and large. You're looking at some large tanks in order to successfully grow out a spawn without stunting. I also recommend that you join a more goldfish-centric forum as I believe there is only one member on this entire forum (BettaFish.com and TropicalFishKeeping.com) who has successfully spawned goldfish.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 04-01-2012 at 08:23 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote