Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #11 
Tikibirds

Mine do that with the sillicon anemneas. They squeeze their body inside of the branches and I think its dead >.<
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #12 
SageMyster

My Calvin does the same thing, only he buries his head in marbles! :P
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #13 
MadameDesu

I haven't had an experience with a fish that does this, but I agree with the others that he may just be looking for a hidey-hole.
Bettas are sort of like people: sometimes, they like to be out and about, but other times, they just want to hide and have some alone time.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #14 
SillySnail

My tank :(

Yeah his tank is a half gallon, WAY TOO SMALL. I've been looking for something bigger (going shopping tomorrow squee!!!) this has been a temporary home till i could get something better, I've never heated a bettas tank before and ive had bettas live for years, think i should do it??? What size tank do you recommend?? Should i look at getting a filter too??? Ive had bigger tanks in the past (been a few years since i had a betta) and i've never had a filter and ive had 3 bettas in my life all living for about 3 years each.... What do you guys think???
SillySnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #15 
SillySnail

Oh! i bet thats what it is! Thats ok i love going shopping at the pet store :)
SillySnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

Depends what suits you. :) Because you have a snail as well, I would recommend at least a 3 gallon, but preferrably a 5 to help dilute the ammonia produced. :)

Definitely get a heater. Although bettas are hardy and can live at sub-optimum temperatures, it is like a human living in the cold constantly with no way to warm up. It depresses their immune system, so they are more susceptible to illness and find it harder to recover when they do get sick. Warm water also makes them hungrier, more active and more colourful. :) 78-82 is the optimum range.

Again because of the snail, I would consider a filter. If you get a 5 gallon, definitely get a filter so you can cycle the tank (SO much less work). Without a filter, in anything under a 5 gallon, you'd be looking at 1 50% and 1 100% change per week. With a filter in less than 5 gallons, 2 50% would probably suffice. In a cycled 5 gallon, 50% once a week would be fine. :)

Shopping for new tanks and toys is the best fun...I spent about $100 on my rats at the petshop yesterday. *rolls eyes at self*
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #17 
MadameDesu

Definitely upgrade to at least a 5 gal. I have a 3 gal right now that isn't cycled and I'm CONSTANTLY doing 100% changes -.-
Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #18 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
Definitely upgrade to at least a 5 gal. I have a 3 gal right now that isn't cycled and I'm CONSTANTLY doing 100% changes -.-
Is it filtered? I'm just asking because I have two 3.5 gallons that are filtered and I haven't had many problems with either of them.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #19 
MadameDesu

It's filtered, but I'm basically just lazy and don't want to do 100% changes every week. Besides, my girl hates getting cupped.
When I go home for the summer I'm going to cycle a 5 gal. It'll be much easier to take care of that way.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #20 
gbose

New Tank!!

Sillysnail,

Good decision to buy a larger tank! And yes, I love going shopping at pet stores, too!

I you have space for it, go with a 5G (or even a 10G -- they're not that expensive), with a filter and a heater.

Good luck -- let us know what you decide. And post pictures!!

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote