Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #1 
Mandy Pandy

20 Gallon Betta Sorority

Hello! I will soon be trying to create a 7 betta sorority in a 20 gallon tank and I was wondering what else I could put in there with the girls? I've read as much as I could find on sororities but I would be grateful for more opinions on the matter.

Does anyone have a snail recommendation? Ghost shrimp? What about a pair of kuhli loach? Thank you all so much in advance! :) (Now off to take my son to the aquarium. ^_~)
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #2 
inareverie85

Nerite snails are my snail of choice. They come in a variety of patterns (see aquabid), and they can't reproduce in fresh water. What you get is all you'll get forever! :P

They also eat algae, which is rather nice. Just be sure to drop in some weighted zucchini if your tank doesn't produce algae for them to feed on.

Another big thing for me is they don't eat plants :) I am not sure if you plan on planting your sorority tank, but if so it makes these guys even better. Lots of other kinds of snails may eat plants.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #3 
Mo

Kuhli loaches would be a great choice if you have sand, a group of 6 would look magnificent as they are schooling fish
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

20 gallons and 7 girls leaves you with quite a bit of room.
Kuhli loaches like groups, they burrow in the sand, usually you will see them more if they have a lot of hiding places for them.

Cory catfish are a popular choice on here, there's lot's of different types, and they like groups also. You could easily fit 6-7 of any type with your betta. Just stick to the same species, since they prefer their own kind. Albino, Bronze, and Green Cories are all the same species, so you could get those if you want a variety and mix them. Other common varieties include, panda (the most sensitive, don't recommend), peppered, julii, false julii, adolfo and skunk. It all depends on where you are pretty much.

For shrimp, ghosts are good, as well as cherry and amano shrimp. Shrimp are sensitive little guys, so don't feel bad if you don't have success with them at first. Many betta have been known to snack on them, so ghosts are a better option since they're usually the cheapest variety to have around.

A few nerite snails, or you could get a single apple or mystery snail. Keep in mind your snails will probably produce more poop than your fish, and tend to make a bigger mess than they clean up if that's what you want. Shrimp are much better cleaners.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #5 
Mandy Pandy

Hmm.. I might put in a few Nerite snails, not necessarily as cleaners but because I like how they look. :)

I already have gravel so loaches are out for me, think I'll stick with some cory cats.

Can I mix different types of shrimp or should I stick to one kind?
Old 03-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #6 
GreenTea

Cory cats can lose their barbels in gravel, they do best in sand as well and need to be in groups.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ah, that is true..
You could do one bristlenose pleco, maybe get away with two in your 20..
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile...p.+(3)&id=1024
They don't grow as big as common pleco, and are quite comic looking :D

In 20 gallons, you could possibly do 2 shrimp species with lot's of hiding.. but I think it's possible that they would go to war with each other as well o-o
I think amano and cherry shrimp would be able to coexist, they may form separate territories though.
http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/shrimp/amano-shrimp.php
http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/shrimp/...rry-shrimp.php
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #8 
Spazzfish

I have to put my 2 cents in on the corries they are the vutest thing to watch swim around and nibble on food give them places to hide though they are fast and smart enough to swim away but my betta tends to bully them
p.s. My corys love wardleys sinking shrimp pelets... but so does my betta so be sure they get food in a tank with so many mouths
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Larger species of cory, such as bronze, *can* work on very smooth, small gravel, but they will still be happier on sand. :)
What is your water chemistry like (pH and hardness)? That will tell us what sort of tankmates you can have. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #10 
Mandy Pandy

I'm pretty sure we have hard water.. Not sure about the ph. I plan to get a test kit soon though. :)