Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #11 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post

Oh, I discovered many people think since China and Thailand are close, Koi/goldfish can be with bettas. really, Thailand is on the equator, and China is not. ;)
Actually, I would NOT recommend putting a goldfish with a betta unless you have a very large tank and filter. Goldfish tend to be very messy eaters and constant poopers, leading to high ammonia. Bettas tend to be better at eating food cleanly but will eat food faster than the goldfish. Putting in more food to make sure the goldfish has enough to eat can also be tricky because bettas are forever hungry and may do the same again.

Some people do it, though. I wouldn't attempt it myself.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #12 
Sheldon31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
Aw, Sheldon, that was beautiful. I see you live in Great Britain. How are bettas treated in pet stores in your area? When I was in England I saw a store called Pets at Home, which may or may not have been a chain. Didn't see one anywhere else. I was please to see the bettas they had were in proper tanks, divided, and some even had living companions! I do feel bad for one guy I saw because he was being bullied by neon tetras who kept nipping at his tail while he wasn't looking. Poor guy.

Anywho, what is black water? I never heard of that.
Pets at home is a huge chain! It used to be petsmart which I believe you have there until they had some issues with quarantining the rabbits. Not going to tell you the full story, it's way too upsetting. Since their little issue they changed their name and started training their staff up much better in all areas of care. In my pets at home the fighters are kept in tanks, about 1 us gallon sized with a small cave in each. Their variety isn't great but I got my Kyon from there :) It's the same in all of the fish places too :D Black water is a type of water, I believe its just darker than clear water. Tetras and Bettas live in black water. I am about to start using IAL too. You can buy a black water extract in a bottle, never used it myself but my LFS is hoping to start stocking it. I'm in North wales on the border of England. Small country of large animal lovers and farming mostly but recently fish keeping has become much more popular. We don't have (or I've just never seen) the dreaded "betta bowl" or the "betta/lily vase". We have very strict laws on animal cruelty and rights.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
Actually, I would NOT recommend putting a goldfish with a betta unless you have a very large tank and filter. Goldfish tend to be very messy eaters and constant poopers, leading to high ammonia. Bettas tend to be better at eating food cleanly but will eat food faster than the goldfish. Putting in more food to make sure the goldfish has enough to eat can also be tricky because bettas are forever hungry and may do the same again.

Some people do it, though. I wouldn't attempt it myself.

except goldies are cold water and bettas are tropical and I agree, the betta would hog the food xD
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #14 
Sivan

I am glad to hear that the animals are better taken care of. I have to say, I was impressed with everything I saw. I was also impressed with their animal variety. I never knew degus existed! Cute things. And yes, I've got a PetSmart right near me. My local one is okay but could be much better. I have considered applying to work their as a "fish expert" but I am afraid I would have to deal with crickets on occasion for other customers and I have a ridiculous insect phobia, which tends to get worse involving beetles and crickets.

Now that you mention it, I don't think I saw a betta bowl or any other deadly contraption. I noticed a trend over on this side of the pond that involves places the cruel tanks next to the betta fish so people will grab those first. I am glad I saw none of this in England.

I was up in the Northwest, in Preston. I don't know if you know where that is, but its about an hour's train ride from Manchester. I lived in the UK for six months but never had a chance (or money) to visit Wales. I hear its a very beautiful place; I would have loved to see Bath.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #15 
Sheldon31

Prestons not far. Wales is beautiful, I love it here and would never leave. South wales is more industrial than the north. We have a lot more farming and untouched land. The beautiful parts of wales are often protected by the locals or the government. We have our own small government which has devolved from england. Traditionally, the Welsh have a playful hatred for English people. It's all good fun really but it makes our rugby games very interesting.

They don't even sell bowls in pets at home. You can buy them though. A friend of mine kept a shibunkin who was about 5 inches long in a tiny 1ltr bowl, no filtration at all. I wanted to say something to her but she was selling me her dining table dirt cheap and I didn't want to upset her. Recently I seen a picture of the shibby in a new lit and filtered 5gal tank. Not ideal but definately better :) I've always wanted a Degu! They've recently changed fish suppliers so they have loads more choice. Was especially pleased that they have a good variety of Corys :D
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #16 
SageMyster

I bought into the whole "they like small spaces" concept, as absurd as it sounds on reflection. Luckily, I didn't buy my boy Harlot until I'd read through dozens of topics in this forum and other websites, and had a whole notebook full of notes, tips, and tricks for taking care of a Betta before actually heading to Petco. Now I have four very healthy and happy boys. <3

I also never knew the girls were so tiny - or could in fact become aggressive! Although I don't own a sorority, I've heard some horror stories on this forum.

The most recent thing I learned was yesterday, actually. I never knew Betta could have common genetic mutations, which I found out by purchasing a big-eared "Dumbo" Delta yesterday, named Calvin. (:
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Actually some females are a good size :3 my one matches my male's size.... 4 of them barely match the size, or don't at all, and another one is still growing xD And yeah - Zebra is docile, but she went senile and tore up Tina x.x HORRIBLE! :( Savannah and Holly are both aggressive and must be treated like males x.x ugh. xD

Did you know? a betta who lives in a 1 gallon bowl vs a 10 gallon... (usually seen in females more than males) the one in the bigger tank will grow bigger.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #18 
SageMyster

Well, I just learned two new things! x)
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

xD I found it out by sight! I had my females (4) in a 10, then a 20, then a 29. In the 29 2 doubled in size, and everyone colored up better without the lights in the tank being on. o.o natural light is soooo much better xD
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #20 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I never knew my conditioner before did not neutralize metals :O My new one does.

I was told females are colorless. I found out, yes, and no. Some are some are not :)
my female changes color. when if first got her she would be a brown with markings and then turn blue/purple when she saw me. she knew she was being fed.

now she's blue/purple all the time because she's used to her environment and happy.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote