Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #51 
Sheldon31

Us evil people keeping bettas in 5+ gal tanks, how dare we!
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #52 
revolutionrocknroll

Hahahahahaha @ VT/Vermont
When I first got on this forum, I was sooooo confused. I'm from Vermont xD
This forum has taught me so much about fish care. When I was in third grade my parents got me a betta and were like, "Meghan, he can live in a bowl and you have to clean it once a week but he won't die like your goldfish!" Don't even ask about the goldfish :(
So glad that I found this place!
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #53 
Sivan

:) Vermont huh? Then you're my neighbor.

My dad kept aquariums before he married my mom but he didn't seem to know much about betta fish. He knew they were hardy and suggested a heater as an option but that was pretty much it.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #54 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Revelation: that companies selling large amounts of supplies still place blatant misinformation on their packaging. I was reading the back of the Aqueon Betta Bowl package (tiny for one fish...sold for two) and it says "they are even found living in animal footprints." hm. Now that I'm in a store that sells these, I have to explain that, no, the betta don't really live in hoof prints...
Well, it's true. They are found living in animal hoofprints, occasionally. But it is very wrong of companies to use that to try and justify containers like that as a permanent home.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #55 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
windows are okay for fish tanks

It is NOT recommended. This depends on the size of the tank and the amount of time it spends under direct sunlight. A small tank that is in an east-facing window will heat up dramatically in a very short period of time. A larger tank is more able to TOLERATE a window due to the specific heat capacity of water being so high that it will take a while to heat up a large amount of water, by which time (hopefully) the sun will have cross over the window to prevent any drastic and sudden heat-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Oh, I discovered many people think since China and Thailand are close, Koi/goldfish can be with bettas. really, Thailand is on the equator, and China is not. ;)

My betta revelation: The bigger/larger the betta I own, the more they act like puppies rather than fish. They also act more derpy. LOLOL
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #56 
Ramble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Well, it's true. They are found living in animal hoofprints, occasionally. But it is very wrong of companies to use that to try and justify containers like that as a permanent home.
Exactly. Getting caught in a very small body of water while jumping to find better hunting grounds, or having to wait for the next good rain because a fish's pond or paddy dried up is not the same as naturally growing up in a cup-sized puddle. It's an interesting lie of omission. But it's harder to convince people it's not true when the company prints it right on the back of their micro-aquarium as gospel...sigh.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #57 
Sena Hansler

I said they were okay....I didn't mean to set them in direct sun all the time. My fish room has sun in the morning, then no sun the rest of the day.

join my ex boyfriend for the "bettas ar cold water because they live in Thailan that's close to China and koi come from China" >< I almost wanted to smack him one. I wouldn't put a goldie with a betta. ever. (I wouldn't smack you one :p )

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 04-06-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #58 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
maybe they are just in the deep prints because there was flooding previously and the water line went down.

pet stores are really bad though. i bought a few bettas and they kept on talking about me putting them together. uh, no .... i'm not going to put 2 betta together. especially one male and one female.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #59 
Bombalurina

^^ You see so many questions etc with people saying they put a male and female betta together because the petshop said it would ok! It makes me so sad. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #60 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
^^ You see so many questions etc with people saying they put a male and female betta together because the petshop said it would ok! It makes me so sad. :(
yeah like they're going to live together like husband and wife!
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote