Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #1 
Pogthefish

What would cause a compromised immune system?

First, I have officially decided to buy the rest of the betta fish needed for this tank from breeders.

I got four female bettas from petco, and brought them home to my already cycled community tank. It is not a new tank. I used to have a mal betta, but i took him out and gave him his own tank, he didnt play well with the tetras ;)

What size is your tank? 29 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78.4
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yeah
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 other girl bettas, all fine, and 6 neon and glow lite tetras that school together

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tetra min tropical crisps
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? when i need it
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 15%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tap water conditioner and ph up

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: either 1.0 or 10 i dont remember
pH:6.8
Hardness: somewhat hard, i dont remember the exact numbers
Alkalinity: forget, low

Symptoms and Treatment
ima skip these and say she was blind in one eye wen i got her and she looked very unhealthy, pale, and no color in her fins, but i knew i could get her better. At first she sat at the bottom and did nto move for anything but food, i didnt even put her in the separate tank for feeding (i put them in the hospital tank and feed the bettas separate from the tetras or the tetras dont get much food and the bettas get fat) because she really didnt get in the way of the tetras She started getting healthier and i started putting her in the hospital tank for feedings occasionally if she was easy to net, and eventually all the time. She stopped laying on the ground and started fighting with the other betta fish until she was not fourth in the pecking order, but second. I was proud of my litle girl. soon i noticed a black stripe on her tail and im liek oh fin rot, which it was, and i thot this was odd cuzt the neon tetras were not sick. I cleaned the water more and used aq salt. It never went away so im like oh maybe its her coloring, but it was finrot. Then a few days before she died i noticed her laying in the plants and restign and im like okay whatevs shes tired. THen one day she didnt swim up for feeding and i was worried because i knew she had been acting odd, i finally got her and put her in the tank, and i noticed she was not eating, after leaving her behing in the hospital tank for examining, i noticed nothign wrong and put her back in the community tank where she had more swimming room and decor to rest on, the tetras were not sick so the others would be fine. By now i was suspecting her immune system was not right. That afternoon, at the next feeding, i noticed her lyign on the ground liek she had been all day. she ignored her food again, so I kept her in the hospital tank. She was extremely pale too. That night I noticed her pineconing and was frantic but there was nothing i could do. THe next morning was easter and I knew she had no chance, so i got out the clove oil and did what i had to do. I was extremely sad.

now my question is.. Should I be worried about the rest of the fish and did the dropsy go faster than it should have?

How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea

sorry about the ton of text
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.....to understand...you lost 2 females in the last week...correct.....

The biggest reason for compromised immune response is related to stress-the biggest cause of stress is poor water quality, poor stocking, improper stocking, incorrect water temps, sudden extreme chemistry/temp changes and nutrition related to name the most common causes......

With poor water quality you can have high pathogen that can become pathogenic when stress compromise the immune response-thus, allows the fish to become infected, get sick and/or die......

In the 29gal-with your stocking you should be making at least 50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality-you shouldn't base water changes on water prams since we don't test for DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) that can be harmful at high levels-then with this build up you can have natural decomp that creates CO2 and this in turn can drive the pH down and when you do make a water change you can cause sudden extreme chemistry changes that can further compromise the immune response-weakening the already compromised fish even more-this is especially true with long term neglect....

Think of your water change as removing 50% of the organic then diluting the remaining 50%......

To be a good fish keeper you must first be a good keeper of water.....Freshwater fish thrive with fresh water......

Your filter media also needs care-at least a couple of times a month it needs a good swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water with a water change to maintain good water flow and anytime the water flow is compromised-with limited dissolved oxygen to the good bacteria and they can be suffocated and this can compromise water quality

Fix your water quality and often that is all that is needed......Prevention....

It is also a good general rule to make 50% water changes with any sick fish, dead fish, new fish added after proper QT period along with any skewed water prams......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #3 
Pogthefish

ok. thanks and no i lost one..

the other fish were not affected though, so I suspect it was form before she got to me, but one other fish is showing stirpes off and on, horizontal, so im trying to help with the fishes stress btu they all seem healthy, thanks! any conditions she could havve had before hand, or was the blind eye causing her stress?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote