Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #41 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Maybe someones asked this.... but I was rereading and trying to rediagnose but... how often do you do a full water change?
I do a 50% twice a week, and replace one of those with a 100% every other week. The water has always tested fine.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #42 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
maybe you can try this, have her in a quarantine tank, change out the water every day/every 2 days, 100%. I really dont think its external parasites. Im suspecting the water parameters :( so if you cant get it checked might as well keep it perfect for her treatment. does she look like she's pineconing at all? I just noticed the slight black edge to her scales towards the back.since we cant seem to dignose her maybe you can put her on aquarium salt( but ONLY if she isnt bloated, pineconing etc 1tsp/gal). Make sure water temp is same when changing water etcetc. see if she recovers her apetite at all...
And your basis for suspecting the water parameters would be what?

I don't mean that to sound snotty. I just know for a fact that her water is always perfect, and I see nothing in anything I've typed to suggest otherwise.

Last edited by lilyth88; 04-06-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #43 
ao
TFK Moderator

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Fish-1472...ckmoor-red.htm

This article sounds like a similar problem and recommends cure with maracyn2 by mardel.

lol think Im almost as wprried about your fish as you are.

edit: just to reply to your next post and not double post :)

Its ok, i dont mind snotty just trying to think of all the possibilities untested :D Sorry if i offended you :)

Last edited by ao; 04-06-2012 at 02:03 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #44 
ao
TFK Moderator

oops triple posting, please forgive me.... i think the earlier suggested egg bound could be a possibility. you said you got her when she was quite small, maybe back then when she was house next to the male she wasnt of reproductive age yet...? just another thought. The only thing would be that eggy females would look bloated, can you see what her feces look like at all?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #45 
Tikibirds

Maybe i'm just seeing things but in the last pic posted her tummy either looked bloated or eggy.

Is there funky swimming involved? Swimming sideways, upside down, floating butt up, anything like that?

from what I understand, playing with the food - spitting it out and putting it back into their mouth is somewhat normal behavior. However they will eventually eat the food. The only time I had bettas not eat, it was right after I got them and they came from a cup with high ammonia (i like testing the petco/walmart water) and they probably had ammonia burns inside their mouth. However if you are doing 2 WC a week then as you say, the prams should be OK.
They can go a few weeks without food though. I had one not eat for almost 4 weeks. I was sure it was gonna starve but it got well and started eating.

If it were me, I would stop any meds unless you know for certain if it is velvet or ick.

I would then give her a day in normal water and then try a day or two in epsom salt in case she is badly bloated. Epsom is alot safer and will not harm her unlike long term AQ salt useage.

Internal parasites also comes to mind but from what i have read about them, the fish eats but looses weight, not the other way around.

Im going send either OFL or sakura this way, maybe one of them can figure it out.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-06-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #46 
Sakura8

Hi lilth88. Sorry your girl isn't acting quite like herself. For now, I definitely agree with Tikibirds. Stop all medications. Neither med will help her unless she's showing definite symptoms.

So just to clarify, she's been a bit large, off her food, and lethargic. But no weird swimming or SBD problems?

Has she been pooping? Watch her for a while to see if she is. If she doesn't appear to be passing any waste, then that would explain why she looks a bit big. If she HAS been going normally, then constipation isn't the problem. In that case, I would say she most likely dropped her eggs, ate them, and is now reabsorbing them. When a female does this, she often does not eat because she is getting lots of protein from the eggs. She may also act lethargic and almost depressed, like she's disappointed that she didn't get to spawn. I've had this happen with a few of my girls, especially when they were housed next to males. It didn't happen to every girl I housed next to a male, though. One thing to keep in mind is often when they have eaten eggs, they pass a strange off-white, stringy poo. If your girl is not passing waste or not passing waste of that description, it could mean she's having some trouble absorbing her eggs.

My advice is to put her into 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon. You can get epsom salt at any drugstore. Make sure it has no additional scents or colors, just plain magnesium sulfate. Epsom salt is, among other things, a laxative, so it will help her pass any eggs she might have eaten.

If you can, hide your males from her sight.

Oh! And one more thing. Water parameters can mean more than just ammonia and nitrite/nitrate. It also includes hardness and pH, so even if the ammonia etc part of the params were fine, tthe pH could have been off or something like that. A pH swing could easily cause her to show some lethargy/loss of appetite.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #47 
BettaGirl290

You should make sure the water temp. never exceeds 82 F , i would suggest turning your heat down, if you heater dosen't have the feature, i'd suggest a lower watt heater, and check the temp each time you change the water.

thats all i could come up with :c sorry.
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #48 
cjayBetta

I hope sookie gets better, Maybe send a PM to Oldfishlady - she ALWAYS has the answer.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #49 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi lilth88. Sorry your girl isn't acting quite like herself. For now, I definitely agree with Tikibirds. Stop all medications. Neither med will help her unless she's showing definite symptoms.

So just to clarify, she's been a bit large, off her food, and lethargic. But no weird swimming or SBD problems?

Has she been pooping? Watch her for a while to see if she is. If she doesn't appear to be passing any waste, then that would explain why she looks a bit big. If she HAS been going normally, then constipation isn't the problem. In that case, I would say she most likely dropped her eggs, ate them, and is now reabsorbing them. When a female does this, she often does not eat because she is getting lots of protein from the eggs. She may also act lethargic and almost depressed, like she's disappointed that she didn't get to spawn. I've had this happen with a few of my girls, especially when they were housed next to males. It didn't happen to every girl I housed next to a male, though. One thing to keep in mind is often when they have eaten eggs, they pass a strange off-white, stringy poo. If your girl is not passing waste or not passing waste of that description, it could mean she's having some trouble absorbing her eggs.

My advice is to put her into 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon. You can get epsom salt at any drugstore. Make sure it has no additional scents or colors, just plain magnesium sulfate. Epsom salt is, among other things, a laxative, so it will help her pass any eggs she might have eaten.

If you can, hide your males from her sight.

Oh! And one more thing. Water parameters can mean more than just ammonia and nitrite/nitrate. It also includes hardness and pH, so even if the ammonia etc part of the params were fine, tthe pH could have been off or something like that. A pH swing could easily cause her to show some lethargy/loss of appetite.

She's always been of the larger side. Someone else on the forum informed me she's a "giant." She is about 3 inches long. As far as bloating, I do not see any signs of that at all. If you look in my album, her stomach looks about the same as in those pictures except for that bruising.

She is pooping, which I've been wondering about because she hasn't been eating for a week now (except for one bloodworm.) Last I saw her poop was yesterday, and it was kind of an off-white. My boyfriend says she saw a poop the other day that was half clear.

Last edited by lilyth88; 04-06-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #50 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGirl290 View Post
You should make sure the water temp. never exceeds 82 F , i would suggest turning your heat down, if you heater dosen't have the feature, i'd suggest a lower watt heater, and check the temp each time you change the water.

thats all i could come up with :c sorry.

When I posted that temp, it was a lot warmer outside (and inside.) We live in Wisconsin, where the temperatures fluctuate a lot. Last week it was in the 80s. This week it was getting down to the 30s at night. She does have a heater in there now that keeps it about 78.