Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #1 
zaichev

Mystery Disease: Please help

One of my betta fish is slowly but surely losing his fins. The mystery of this is that the cage is a "split" tank and the other betta fish seems very healthy: no fin splitting or disappearing.

I've tried changing the water, etc. Not working. At present the Ph is 7, the temperature is 80, they've had some antibiotic drops put in, as well as stress coat for a week and a half. The ammonia is "light green" but it's probably at zero, as no matter how much Ammonia detox I add, it never gets lighter than this. (False reading, etc.)

They live in a 10 gallon split tank. Changed 100% once a week.

No matter what I do, it keeps getting worse. I feel so sorry for the little guy.

Could this be stress nipping, perhaps? I'm not sure what else to do and what I'm doing wrong with this guy. Otherwise, he looks fine, but his fins are just in tatters.
zaichev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #2 
carotid

post a pic if u can
carotid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #3 
zaichev

This is the one with tatters. The other one is fine.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #4 
OMGemily

are they just tattered or is there a black outline along the edges as well?

EDIT: we posted at the same time haha woops. This doesnt look like fin rot at all though. Im not very experienced but fin rot usually includes a black ish outline
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #5 
zaichev

No black outline. The little guy had some red on him a week and a half ago so I changed the water and it was better. I thought maybe I put too much aommonia detox in (as I tended to add it any time the aommnia was higher than it should be.) It went away the next day and I thought his fins would improve. They're getting worse and worse.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

Are large parts dissapearing in a short period of time? If so, he may be bitting his fins which would explain why nothing is working for you. If that is indeed the case, he may be biting out of boredom, anger of because his fins are annoying him. If it's cause he is bored try adding a new decoration but if he is biting because he can, not much you can do about it. Just keep the water super clean and keep an eye out for fin rot.

This was my tail bitter
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #7 
zaichev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Are large parts dissapearing in a short period of time? If so, he may be bitting his fins which would explain why nothing is working for you. If that is indeed the case, he may be biting out of boredom, anger of because his fins are annoying him. If it's cause he is bored try adding a new decoration but if he is biting because he can, not much you can do about it. Just keep the water super clean and keep an eye out for fin rot.

This was my tail bitter
Yes, it seems to happen overnight. So that might be it. He has a plant and a rock and a little solider toy and a hammock leaf. Until yesterday he had a house, too, but as he never used it, I took it and gave it to my pet crawfish, who does use it. Not sure how to make the guy happy.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #8 
OMGemily

my guess is that theyre being torn by something in the tank or hes biting them. If the ammonia is high i would add anything. just change the water. if the ammonia has been getting too high you just need to do more frequent water changes... i imagine that would be healthier for them than adding more chemicals. I dont want to tell you how to treat him as ive never dealt with this. but if it is indeed just tail biting or getting torn, the best way for them to heal, i believe is AQ salt (premix 1 tsp per gallon) for up to 10 days i think. It helps keep infection away and helps the fins grow back. also if its tail biting, hes probably stressed. did you just put him in with the other fish? or has anything else been changed recently? you said the ammonia is "light green" meaning, i assume, between .25 and .5 on the ammonia test kit scale? i have a 5.5 gal with one fish and i change 100% of the water once a week. the ammonia gets up to .25 right before i change it. I believe this is ok. I dont think its completely necessary for the ammonia to CONSTANTLY be at 0. as long as its always really close
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote