Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm... breeding an aggressive FEMALE?

So, I'd love to breed Savannah, my big blue gal :) NOTE: she is NOT from this store that gets wholesale bettas. Only problem with her... she is aggressive. Flared right back at my male Dally who sawm away in terror I'm not breeding him, btw. Plus she'd be the man in THAT relationship xDD And yes she IS a female :) She displays no stress nor submission signs when she flared at Dally, or at Juniper (butterfly-carrier) o_o

So... How would I breed her then? I'm used to "okay I submit right away" females, who don't fight back, and definitely do not flare back!!! any tips? I'm conditioning her and my male of choice for summer-ish time :) Any warnings? I'm using a 10 with live plants, and a sponge filter for spawning. 6 inches of water, heated to a lovely 80-82 :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #2 
betta lover1507

you would have to get an aggressive male of course lol
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Aggressive females spawn more easily than submissive females.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #4 
betta lover1507

true, it takes them more time. or some times don't spawn at all
Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Huh. Madame was semi-aggressive. aggressive to everything (murdered my apple snail!!), including other females and she DID spawn great, fast, quick, and easy. she flared when she was telling him "oh gimme a break!" Marge was a second try, and she wouldn't breed. maybe too submissive? she ate his tail in the night though

I have another girl now! Purple, and once she is in clean water I will say what kind (VT or comb). And two males.... a soft pale yellow boy, and an awesome red boy who is fiesty! just how I like 'em I'll condition both gals, and both males. otherwise I'd resort to Shiloh! xD and he's gotta be 2.5 now, so I don't want to. but he is very aggressive
Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

just be careful with aggressive betta's though. some will easliy spawn, and others .... don't spawn
Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I agree
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

But Sena, you shouldn't be breeding if you can't figure out what's wrong with your adult fish.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Which ones? El Dorado was old for the fact of the store he came from plus he always had a weak immune system, Ghengis is just constipated, females are over their columnaris (took yahooanswers to find that answer, for the fact it showed as "fin rot"), Ditsy had ich and a weak immune system from the petsmart place in edmonton, and I'm breeding in summer not now . I found out what's wrong with everyone and we're successful right now with treatments. the new guy Red, was shipped today so it doesn't surprise me he needs a lil' epsom salt for his bloat. :) And that's about it.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #10 
cajunamy
Banned

I'm afraid I have to agree with MrV. It seems you are still losing bettas left and right, and that leads me to suspect something is probably wrong with your water supply. You have lost many, many fish in a short period of time - no matter what you think was wrong with them, it is not normal to have such a huge rash of deaths in a short period of time.

For example, I recently lost a huge amount of bettas (around 10) in a matter of 2 weeks. Come to find out there was a busted water line up my street. The water was coming out BROWN. The pH was off the charts, and I shudder to thing what other nasties were swimming around in that water. This is the third time this has happened to me in my 14 years of keeping fish. I have switched to using R/O water for my bettas full time, and now they are as healthy as can be.

If I were you I would start looking at your water supply, or your water change schedule, or even your stock of fish. In my personal experience imports are way more fragile than domestic bettas. MrV can attest to that as well, and he's been breeding and importing longer than I have.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote