Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #1 
amynuss

Unhappy Something wrong or just paranoid?

Housing
What size is your tank? 4l (~1 gal)
What temperature is your tank? Unsure; room temp is 27 Celsius.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? PennPlax pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% mid-week and 100% on weekends
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem betta basics. I was adding aquarium salt before being told not to.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I noticed this morning that his Ventral fins were almost white on the edges, which they weren't before (not a solid white, but more iridescent/see-through at the ends). I haven't noticed any other white spots or other colour changes.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I thought I spotted him rubbing against his plastic plant yesterday but can't be sure. But he was still very active. Then this morning, he was quite lethargic, and wasn't interested in food. The pellets I've been giving him since saturday are considerably bigger than the ones I was giving him before (unsure what brand they were) so I've been cutting them up before giving them to him. Tonight when I tried to feed him again, he was more active than this morning, and tried eating a few pellets, but almost instantly spat them back out again.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday and this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I completely cleaned his tank out about an hour ago (I only just did a full water change on Friday night). I rinsed out the gravel, the cave and the plant. I've put him in a warmer room in the house.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him 3 weeks, but don't know about before that.

It's weird, he goes from being really lethargic to very skittish. He also used to follow my finger around the glass, but now I put my finger near the glass and he backs away.

I have a history of being paranoid and thinking the worst of a situation... Please reassure me or help me!
amynuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #2 
lvandert

hmmm he sounds like a young fish (if he can't eat a full pellet) so the translucent bits on his fins are probably just growth. As for the not eating part, you might want to try a different food or fast him for a day or two. That generally works for me
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote