aurasoulful

Floaty beta girl

Housing
What size is your tank? 29 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? She lives with 8 other beta girls

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NFS Small pellets, Frozen foods such as: Bloodworms, Brine shrimp, Glassworms, and Daphnia. One of those at least once a week.
How often do you feed your betta fish? I feed the sorority at least 1-2 times a day. Fasting on fridays.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tannins, Prime, occationally Stress Guard

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A little bloated belly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She is floaty. She moves back up when she stops swimming. Still very energetic and flares when she is flared at. Stays at the top when relaxed.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put her in a specimen container in the tank, and added a little bit of premixed epsom salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, she was a healthy baby when I purchased her. Fresh store shipment.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably up to three months.

Last edited by aurasoulful; 03-24-2012 at 04:29 PM.
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

is she pineconed at all? (raised scales) gray on the belly?

photo would help. Could be sbd, could be dropsy.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #3 
MadameDesu

Sounds like swim bladder disease to me. If you fast her or reduce her food intake for a while, she'll probably be fine :)
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

@ EvilVOG She's not pineconed or grey thank god. She won't hold still for me to get any clear picture on my phone.

@ madameDesu It might be that she over ate, because it happened after feeding time. The girls rush over to me, it hard to tell who eats more then another. She still poops at least.

Thank you both for your help. I'll watch her belly for dropsy. I sure hope it isn't o-o
Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

I had a minnow who did that, the whole floaty thing until he died apparently of fish tuberculosis...another minnow soon followed, Im watching my third and past very closely for any symptoms to learn from. hopefully your fish doesnt have his....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #6 
Myates

It doesn't sound like dropsy or SBD at all... both of those you would see a great deal more symptoms.

What it sounds like is she either had over eaten the last meal, or she is eggy- either requires no treatment. I would keep an eye on her and if she starts to bob more then you can do the Epsom treatment.. otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much since you said you had just noticed it now.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #7 
aurasoulful

@ aokashi - I've had a couple of old goldfish come down with fish TB. Saddest thing to ever see happen. Poor minnows. Are they those mountain cloud minnows?

@Myates - I am definitely going to adjust my feeding. Smaller portions and feed twice instead of once a day. Maybe break it down to three tiny snacks. Do females drop their eggs after becoming eggy? I've never seen an eggy female before. I've had the sorority for only three weeks.

I am happy to say that she is completely recovered from floating. Her belly is normal sized now as well. I want to thank everybody for taking their time to respond to my post. This is my first sorority, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks again everybody :)
Old 03-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #8 
Myates

Multiple small meals a day is much healthier and better for any animal, fish included.. one day feeding can easily result in over or under feeding. Two or three meals a day is great- just make sure not to over do it per meal. Stay in the safe range, just less per meal.

Glad she is doing good!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

@aurasouful
They're a couple of feeder minnows, I'm really not surprised they has fish Tb :( The first one had symptoms on the first day, I put him in a qt tank thinking that he was just not accliming well. He seemed to perk up, then two days later he was swimming all loopy in my qt then after I returned fr school he was dwad. The next one was a fat head minnow, and he began to look aneorexic after a few days, I thought they just under fed him at petco. I fed them more, but whilst his rosy red friend seems to be getting fatter the little guy just kept shrinking. Then came the dreaded day where he got a sudden kink in his back. I read up on ot hoping it was parasites rather than fish tb, butall his symptons said other wise. I netted the guy out and pit him in qt and medicated him with betta revive ( seein how it has a bit of everything in it, something might just work. He ate fine for another two days but was all floaty like the first and died on the third day(rather peacefully... he was swimming oneoment at the surface and then he just stopped moving), Now although the third looks ok, Im going to observe it closely, kind of getting attached to it as its all friendly and comes to the fromt of the tank when Im around. oh well...I did notice on my last visit to petco that their always over stuffed minnow tank was almost empty, as if an epidemic has swept through...whilst the other feeder gold fish tanks were still quite packed, wont be buying from them again.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #10 
aurasoulful

Thanks Myrates!

aokashi - It does sound like an epidemic. They stuff the minnow tank at my petsmart so much, it's amazing they all don't jump out. I guess since they figured they are feeders, it doesn't matter. I wonder if the diseases they get, can be transmitted into the pets that will be eating them. Good luck with the last little bugger. Does he live with anybody else?