Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
It's not going to be ideal conditions, but it could work (kinda like keeping a betta in a 1.5 gal bowl). Swimming room is going to be a bit of a problem as you don't know just how big a certain fish is going to get. I've heard breeders say that they can get monsters and runts from the same batch of eggs (this also implies that both fish received equal nutrition and water quality). There is no guarantee how large or small your fish will become, so be prepared for a fish that might get too large for the tank (tanks need to be at least as wide as the fish is long to allow them to turn around safely).

If you chose to go this route you're probably going to be looking at 2 20% - 30% PWC a week, and your filter will need to be something rated for 60 or more gallons. This is also just for fancies (ie double-tails). A 55 gal is the minimum for a single-tailed goldfish and even that will be too small when the fish is fully grown.
Well I was planning on getting fat fancy goldfish.....But I could do a water change every day if they needed it.....I just really, really want goldfish but I can't afford a gigantic tank :(
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #12 
thekoimaiden

I know you really want goldfish, but fancy goldfish live between 10 and 15 years. That's a lot of responsibility for a long time. I think you will enjoy your fish more if you wait until you can house them in a larger tank. It will be less work on you which leaves you more time to enjoy them.

More water changes will help with water quality, but it can't make up for a lack of swimming room. Since there is no way to tell how large a goldfish will get, I think it's just better to wait. I love goldfish and wanted them for years before I had my tank, but I waiting and am very glad I did.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I know you really want goldfish, but fancy goldfish live between 10 and 15 years. That's a lot of responsibility for a long time. I think you will enjoy your fish more if you wait until you can house them in a larger tank. It will be less work on you which leaves you more time to enjoy them.

More water changes will help with water quality, but it can't make up for a lack of swimming room. Since there is no way to tell how large a goldfish will get, I think it's just better to wait. I love goldfish and wanted them for years before I had my tank, but I waiting and am very glad I did.
Well, I know they live for a long time and I am prepared for that. I just love caring for other living things, and I love animals in general.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote