Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #1 
Sheldon31

Thumbs down Seems I've upset Kyon :(

Poor lil guy isn't my friend tonight. He had to go into the new tank tonight as the tetras nipped his tail again last night! I did it the way everyone told me. Netted him, put him in a container and put him in the new tank with his favourite plant and the terricotta pot he'd taken a liking to. Now he has a big pale coloured stripe down his side. As I'm typing this he's starting to de-stress a bit. Hope my IAL comes tomorrow! Ordering a few more bunches of plants tomorrow when I get payed and hopefully some moss balls. Can't really blame him but feeling a bit poo right now about it :( Poor Ky must be so annoyed!
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #2 
MachinaSoul

Just a note, if you have a clean enough cup, such as the ones pet stores sell the bettas in, you can submerge the cup to draw the fish into the cup (hold it at an angle with some water in it.

This way you have it in water it is adapted to, and are not stressing it by contact with the net, more its being pulled down by water current. Only issue is that with certain tanks it may be difficult to do, so you may want to run your arm under cold water for a bit, in the event you must dip in with the cup. I mean, you see in the videos that the source breeders put their hands in the water. It is OK as long as you keep your arm and the water clean of chemical or your sweat, short term, and the cup is clean and large enough for the betta temporarily. Then bob it in the hold tank for a bit and submerge and tilt to release him calmly into the water.
MachinaSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #3 
Sivan

Did you acclimate him to the water? If you just dropped him from one tank to another he might of had shock, which is very stressful and sometimes deadly to fish. I recommend either scooping him with a net and place him into a cup of old tank water or using the cup like MachinaSoul suggested, then letting the cup sit in the water for 10 minutes to 30 minutes depending on how great a temperature difference there is. Even one degree can be stressful to him. Just don't empty the old water into the new water.

He could also be nervous in a new tank. It took my Fabio a while to adjust to his new tank when I took him home with me from university. He ended up liking it more though, despite his initial protest.

Hope that helps.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #4 
Sheldon31

No I acclimatised him in one of my daughters old plastic sippy cups. He is much calmer today, he's investigating the IAL I put in there this afternoon, hes eating fine and not pacing or being erratic. I've ordered a heap of plants to make his home a bit more fun and I'm hunting my old toy box to find a ping pong ball to stop his boredom. :)
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote