Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #1 
RayneForhest

Great Dane owners???

I'm considering getting a Great Dane when we move. Do you have one? Would you recommend this breed?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #2 
Laki

All I know is 1.They're SO awesome! and 2. You have to be somewhat educated on dog language and behavior and training. Great Danes are extremely large heavy dogs. In the wrong hands they can be quite terrifying! I seen aggressive GD on the Dog Whisperer. If you must get from a breeder (bc I advise you always check with shelters first) make sure you ask questions and be assured its a reputable breeder and not someone looking to make a buck. Meet the parents of the dog you wish to purchase if you DO get it from a breeder.

Also, if you decide on one, PICS!!! My fave color pattern is brindles and fawnequin.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #3 
Boredomb

My wife and I have a rescue boy. We got him when he was 4 months old. He is now 11 months. He is nothing but a big puppy who thinks he is a lap dog. I do agree with Laki you need to watch out for certain traits in the parents of the dog and ask lots of questions. This dogs can be great companions but if they have been mistreat or bread for the wrong reasons you could have your hands full. Before we got this puppy we had a rescue male Dane. That was not treated right at all. We picked hjm up from the owners house chained up on a 4 foot chain outside. This dog was aggressive as could be and skin in bones. I was the only one that could handle him for awhile. In fact when we got home with him he actually lunged at must wife and I had to tackle the dog. Long store short just do your research first and you have a great dog!
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #4 
RayneForhest

Thank you for the great advice. Yes, I study dogs.. their behavior... temperaments and stuff. I met a couple with a pair of Danes that had a litter of pups last month. The doggy parents were amazing! They were both healthy... though a little on the slim side in my opinion... but its because they have SO MUCH land to run and explore.
The adult dogs were extremely obedient, loyal, and mentally and behaviorally stable.

I have considered taking one of their pups. We are in the process of moving.. to a very rural area with hundreds of acres. We will be moved in at about the same time the pups are ready to be adopted.

I have been looking for months for the perfect dog. I have scoured the shelters.. most dogs in this area come with TONS OF BAGGAGE. I have been taking in rescues for years... (I have a Chihuahua and Miniature Pinscher mix who was starved and was abused)

I am still in the contemplative phase. So.. I'm trying to get all the info possible to make the best decision I can.
My animals are members of the family... I want to be sure its a right fit before I commit.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #5 
Laki

Well they sound like they're well bred (maybe) and if you have a good feeling, go with it. This could be your chance to get a dog you want. You can mold it the way you want :) And it will have loads of room to run and play!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #6 
RayneForhest

Here's Danica at 2 months (she turned two months yesterday). She weighs over 17 lbs

Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #7 
Laki

woah! You picked a real beauty!! Love her name too! Grats!!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #8 
RayneForhest

Thank you :) She picked us. It was awesome.

She's almost an entire head taller than all of her littermates. She outweighs them by at least 5 lbs or more. They were all about the same size two weeks ago too.
She has an impressive linage... and some of them are known to get outrageously huge! She's so smart. She is excelling in her training.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #9 
RayneForhest

Old 05-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #10 
Laki

That's great news! The biggest dane I saw here is from Euro lines. His name is Riggs lol He goes to the pet expo every year I actually have a camera this year so I can show you. He's blue and just enormous. I love your dog, she'll impress when she grows up but right now she's a dainty princess clown! You're having her ears done, are you?