Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #1 
AFishTale

Question Outdoor Spawning Questions.

Hey all, I have some questions about outdoor spawning. First off, I live in Texas, and because we had a SUPER mild winter, the bug population is going to be through the roof this summer. Because of the abundance of live food, I figured maybe I should try an outdoor spawning.

My first question is about temprature. Right now the average temp during the day ranges from 85-91F, mid 70's at night. Farther on in the summer temps can get to 105F. If I put my setup in the shade under my patio, would that be okay?

Secondly, what size container should I use? I read you should use a deep bucket to the fish can get to cooler parts when the temp gets high.

Third, we don't get much rain here; so should I just do water changes like I would on an indoor tank?

Fourth, should the top of the bucket be open or screened?

I will be packing the bucket with tons of live plants of IAL, if there's anything else I should know, please shout out!
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

I use big tubs outdoors. The water volume takes longer to shift temperature so it's not as stressful. I also bury them about halfway in the ground so the bottom is cooler.

I recommend using mesh over the containers.

Just do water changes as you normally would.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #3 
Junglist

Hope it all works out with your spawn, good luck!
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I like to use 5gal buckets that I have either sitting somewhat cocked eye or have part of the top broken that I place some fine mesh over for overflow to prevent the fish from being washed out when it rains or when I top off with water-since we go through drought in my area too.

I use other items to keep the Betta in-but I like to try and keep them in things that are at least 12-20inch deep-water is always dark tanned.

I place in areas so that they won't get anymore than a few hours of sun-I do want them to get some sun for the plants.

I don't make water changes per se-they either get flushed out when it rains or a bit of over flow when I use the water hose.

I don't cover mine, I add dried oak leaves to the buckets and lots of stem plants that I allow to float and floating plants.

Water temp can get well over 100F and as low as the low 60'sF and then when it rains or I use the water hose the water can dip down to the 50'sF sometimes....never have lost a Betta, fry, eggs...etc......just seems to make them tougher and more tolerant of the extremes.

I have been doing the outside spawns for a few years now and have made a few changes-its never the same year to year......

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47192

Last year I had great success too-these fish are a lot tougher than they are given credit for......

We had a mild winter too this year and I have been collecting mosquito larva all winter and have had Bettas, guppies and plecos outside in my 250gal tank since March when usually I can't get them outside until late May/June-had a few days that I had to add heat jugs-but never lost a fish.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 05-06-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #5 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I like to use 5gal buckets that I have either sitting somewhat cocked eye or have part of the top broken that I place some fine mesh over for overflow to prevent the fish from being washed out when it rains or when I top off with water-since we go through drought in my area too.
interesting! i would have thought rain water would have toxins in it?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It can...not all rain water is safe-this is more based on your location and collection method....
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #7 
AFishTale

OFL, would a 5 gallon tank do the same job or would it not be deep enough? Lol, It somewhat uurks me not to be able to see what's going on in the bucket.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

A 5gal tank would work, however, outside the limited water volume/depth it could get too hot-but the little tyke baby bed I use is shallow and I think its 6 or so gallons-and only gets about 1 hour of morning sun-but its about 2+ inches thick too....the biggest worry outside is the heat-while 5gal tank and 5gal bucket is the same volume the bucket is deep and this help with temp issues....at least IME.....

True, you can't really see too far down in the bucket due to the dark tannin in my setups-but the nest is at the top and they generally stay more at the top anyway since they are surface dwelling fish.
I do have a harder time collecting the dark body fry than the light body fry thats for sure....lol.....
Old 05-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #9 
AFishTale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
A 5gal tank would work, however, outside the limited water volume/depth it could get too hot-but the little tyke baby bed I use is shallow and I think its 6 or so gallons-and only gets about 1 hour of morning sun-but its about 2+ inches thick too....the biggest worry outside is the heat-while 5gal tank and 5gal bucket is the same volume the bucket is deep and this help with temp issues....at least IME.....

True, you can't really see too far down in the bucket due to the dark tannin in my setups-but the nest is at the top and they generally stay more at the top anyway since they are surface dwelling fish.
I do have a harder time collecting the dark body fry than the light body fry thats for sure....lol.....

I found some buckets, going to wash and fill them today and watch the temps/sunlight for a few days. Have a bunch of plants I'll add as well..

I'm going to post some photos of the various buckets I have, maybe you could point out which would work best?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #10 
AFishTale

Le buckets.