Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Tanks that I'm currently considering
Aqueon Bow Front 5 Gallon 1 14.29%
Glass 5.5 Gallon 4 57.14%
Marineland Eclipse 5 (Might also have condensation problem?) 1 14.29%
Other? (Please include info in comments) 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #1 
sparkyjoe

New 5 Gallon Tank Suggestions

OK, I need input choosing a tank and I'm hoping some of you might help...

I currently have 3 betta boys, and will be adding another one next week. I have one boy in a regular glass 5.5 gallon, one in a 3.5 gallon, and one have a 5 gallon Hawkeye http://hawkeyeaquarium.com/prod_deta...p?cat=20&p=119

I bought the Marineland Cresent (% gallon) and I HATE it! The included filter broke within a few hours and the permanent holes in the lid constantly have to be covered because I have a jumper.

I like the regular 5.5 gallon glass ok, but it can be expensive to set up another one.

The Hawkeye has a great setup, and is inexpensive, but I'm frustrated with how condensation forms on the inside of the hood (and light fixture!) and then runs down the side of the tank when I open the hood to do maintenance.

I'm looking for ideas for a good, inexpensive 5 gallon tank. My preference is for something lighter weight, and it needs to have a complete hood. Oh, and I will be putting in live plants, so it needs to have decent lighting?

I'm going to try to include a poll, but I appreciate any additional input.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #2 
blueridge

I'm about to set up a 5.5 gallon tank in a month or two, however I am not doing live plants. I am using the regular glass tank just minus the filter that it comes with and adding my own small sponge filter instead. Don't know if this is any help but I thought I would share. The tank that I am using is http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11459461
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #3 
sparkyjoe

Thanks, @blueridge, I'm stopping at Petsmart tomorrow and I'll take a look at it.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #4 
blueridge

No problem!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #5 
Zero186

The problem is no matter what Hood/Tank combo you are going to experience some level of condensation. I know the glass 5.5 and the mini bow set ups can use a CFL for plants. Also I think the mini bows are made of plastic instead of glass.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #6 
sparkyjoe

Thanks everyone for the votes and suggestions. I ended up going with the 5.5 gallon glass that @blueridge suggested and I think I'k swap out the included filter cartridge with some sponge media that I have around the house. I wasn't thrilled because it has an incandescent light, but I just read that florescent bulbs are acceptable so I'll swap that out at some point since I might want more than anubias and java fern in it. (i.e. I have a rosette sword in another tank that may produce "babies" so I can transplant some into my new tank.

I did find a *super* cute glass aquarium at Meijer (a regional Wal-Mart type store). They were actual store brand, glass aquariums that come with a glass cover and an internal filter, but they didn't offer a light so I decided to pass.

Unfortunately I forgot to pick up substrate so I'll have to get some before I set everything up, but at least I've got the tank.

Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #7 
Zero186

I know I get 10 Watt CFL that are 6500k for about 5 dollars in my walmart,A fairly cheap and necessary upgrade. Personally incandescent lights are just awful in fish tanks.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #8 
sparkyjoe

Yep! I'll look at bulb options when I go out for substrate, but I should be ok for the moment. So far I've only got Anubias, Java Fern and a Marimo Ball for that tank and that room is fairly bright; the tank's not in direct sun, but the room has a Southern exposure so it's pretty bright.