Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Exclamation Help! She's pine coned!

;n; i'm like... so upset right now. i JUST lost my DT, Heavy, now my delta, Medic, is pine coned!

i opened her tank lid to see her cute little bubble nest(yes. she builds them), and noticed she looked REALLY fat. after looking like a dork while trying to see her scales(light bodied betta here. :I), i noticed she's pine coned! i'm at a loss here. i can't get epsom salt at this moment, but i can see if Ma'll take me to the store in a bit to get some. what else can i do? she's SUPER active and happy to see me, eats like a piggy, and built a bubble nest. she doesn't seem sick AT ALL!

she's in a 3 gallon tank.

i change the water twice a week.

i'm out of pellets, so i've been feeding them finely crushed Tetra tropical flakes, with the occasional freeze-dried blood worm as a treat.

she's never been sick before....
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #2 
wystearya

For now, I suggest not feeding for a few days. Just in case she is bloated.

But usually the pine cone look means dropsy. I don't know how to treat dropsy, but I do know it is serious, and unfortunately often fatal. :(

I hope your girl is just bloated!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #3 
Luimeril

i hope so, too! i had two other bettas in my life pine cone on me. first was my niece's betta, Travis. he passed away before i could even treat him. second was The Doctor. i had to put him down... gah.. i REALLY hope this is just bloating because of the flakes. i fast them every other day now because of that, but my niece could have tried to be helpful and feed them. ;n;
Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #4 
Mo

Pine coning is usually a sign of a symptom in which the fish's organs begin to fail which means that fluids are building up inside the fish, and these typically occur due to bacterial infections, liver dysfunctions, or parasitic infections, though it mostly occurs during bacterial infections. This is usually an incurable and fatal disease. I would advise if this symptoms progress any further that you should humanely euthanize the fish due to suffering and how hard to treat it is. If you do try to treat then finding the underlying cause and heavily medicating along with daily water changes will counter attack, and you will have a chance at treating it
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #5 
Luimeril

i know why the pine coning happens(the organ failure part), i just don't know why SHE is pine coning... she's generally a happy, healthy gal, and still is very active. not clamped at all, was interested in the IAL leaf i just suck in, wiggled at me and my niece....

how would i tell why she's pine coning? i wanna try to treat her as best i can with what i have on hand. give her a shot, rather than give up on such a pretty, amazing girl.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

it dosen't work all the time but, give her clean water, keep her warm, dark, and some salt (i used idolized salt, but i wouldn't suggest it). it worked for my little veil she passed away a week later from jumping. the name is called "Dropsy" and there isn't a such cure ever found for it yet, good luck though
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #7 
Mo

have you over fed her lately?
have you noticed any difference in behavior prior to this symptom?
Did you notice anything weird the day before this?

these would help us better understand the causes, and what it actually is. I would assume that it is dropsy due to the given severity of the symptoms
Old 04-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #8 
Luimeril

because they're flakes, i only give them a small amount, crushed really fine. to prevent things like bloat. ;n;

she's been just as active and curious as ever, so no behavior changes.

i DID notice she looked fatter than usually the other day, but i thought she was eggy, since she's been building a bubble nest like crazy lately. Caroline used to build bubble nests, then drop eggs, so i figured she must be eggy.

only salt i have on hand is aquarium salt, and table salt. :I
Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #9 
Mo

bloating can be a very early on symptom of an internal parasite which is most likely to cause of what you are experiencing with your fish
Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #10 
Luimeril

:I
that almost scares me away from females. because i've had females who get REALLY eggy.

i didn't think anything of it because it seemed to be around her belly, so i thought it was just like.... she was fat because of eggs.

i have Tetracycline.... but i.... don't have anything to mix it into. no buckets, or nothing. and it's one packet per 10 gallons. my 10 gallon currently houses a baby turtle. so i can't use it. :I