Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

I would actually like to see that link because I have a source that says 41 max reported age. Fishbase.org. As for the average age, it depends. Genetics also play a large role in growth and survival. There are well cared for goldfish that have only lived 10 years or even less. 25 is rather old for a goldfish, even a well-cared for one. Exact numbers are hard to pin down due to all the misinformation about goldfish floating around. The safest estimate I can come up with be between 10-20 years and even that is a large range.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #12 
fishy goings on

I will seek it out for you....I read it some time ago, but it really blew me away, so it stuck in my head.

In fact I read it so long ago that (if it's true) it would have had it's 50th b'day by now!!

btw great info...I agree it's all genetics and even a well cared for fish might only make it to 10 years.
fishy goings on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

For all we know, we could be talking about the same fish! My references says it's from 1993. That would make the fish in it's late 50's now (if it's still alive).
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #14 
Bombalurina

Also, species like comets are always going to live longer than the fancies. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #15 
thekoimaiden

Oh ya. Forgot to mention that. I'm terrible. I often completely forget about single-tails when talking about goldfish. To me aquarium = fancy goldfish and pond = koi. I kinda tend to forget about the single tails, and how they have a better potential to live in either ponds or large aquariums. They are also probably some of the longest-lived goldfish. When I google "oldest goldfish" single tails are the only thing that come up. Along with a picture of a orange koi 0.o I thought the differences between the two carps were rather obvious.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

Yeah...the barbels kind of give it away. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy goings on View Post
Dog is to wolf as betta spledens is to betta splendens.

Grey wolves have been domesticated for tens of thousands of years and goldfish for 1 or 2 thousand....perhaps even enough time to speciate, but interbreeding still happens...."mules" are usually created, but not always!!

However it's only been 150-200 years that betta splendens have been domesticated and "speciation" (the divergence into a new species) most likely has not happened.
I know. I just wanted a picture.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #18 
ladayen

Well I found this one... died at 43 in 1999 BBC News | UK | Oldest goldfish has his chips

As to still living, as of nov 30 2011, a pair of them Are these Britain's oldest goldfish? | The Sun |Features
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote