Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #1 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Do I need to keep on replacing my filter cartridge? Do I need a filter cartridge?

Same as above.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #2 
Mo

Having, and not changing the filter cartridge would be ideal as the main benificial filter bacteria is store in the cartridge. Changing it would surely end in disaster as the ammonia, would spike leading to dangerous levels of it causing stress and sickness
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I've been replacing it for about 3 months every 3 or 4 weeks. :/ So should I just take it out and not put it back in? Or keep it in there and never change it?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

What is the cartridge? Is it wool? Ceramic stuff? Carbon?

I would just leave it in there now, yes. Rinse it every couple of weeks in dirty tank water, but don't replace it.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #5 
myscarlet

I dont know why the boxes on the filters even tell u to change them then lol. I didnt know this either.
myscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #6 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

I replace my filter every 2-3 weeks but i got 2 aqua-tech 10-20 in a 20 gallon long tank, so what i do is i replace them one week apart, but isn't the carbon inside the filter suppossed help you get rid of ammonia and that is why you replace them or is that just a scam?
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #7 
Mo

Carbon clears the water, cleans excess nutrients, Eliminates tannins, etc. the one hat eliminates ammonia is considered zeolite. But your main concern when changing any type of filter media is that it greatly effects the filter bacterias colony, and numbers. With fewer bacteria. Your tanks ability to eliminate toxic substances such as nitrites, and ammonia diminishes greatly, meaning that they will spike resulting in mass deaths, and most likely. Many sicknesses to break out within the tank
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #8 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

so just rinse and not replace?
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #9 
Bombalurina

Depends. Do you want your carbon do be doing the things Mo said? Personally, I don't, as I use fertilisers in my tank. If you want the activated carbon to continue doing that kind of filtration, do continue to replace it, but for other media, yes, just rinse.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #10 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by myscarlet View Post
I dont know why the boxes on the filters even tell u to change them then lol. I didnt know this either.
So the aquarium supplies companies can make money from your continuously buying filter cartridges. Not using carbon has saved me soo much money.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote