Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #1 
Awed

Shelf life of opened Maracyn Two powder

I'm treating a betta fish in a small tank (2.5 gallons). The Maracyn Two powder packets are for a 10 gallon tank. I've been cutting the powder into quarters to administer. But is it OK to keep the powder through the week that is unused? Or should I open a new packet every day? I don't know if this antibiotic has a shelf life. And I don't know if, once exposed to air, that shelf life is reduced. Any medical people here?

Thanks!
Awed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

I was wondering the same thing for my ethromycin....I have a 5 gal so I just used half and then soon as possible taped up the packet and used the rest the nest day...Not sure if that was right though....
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #3 
Awed

Hmm, so I emailed Sargeant's pet supply who distributes Maracyn Two and they said that they only recommended using the powder in a 10 gallon tank, and not to split it. I don't know who is teaching customer service to have this kind of reply, but I have never heard of a 10 gallon hospital tank, and they do recommend using a hospital tank.

So, basically, this is this person's way of saying, "I, personally, don't know what the shelf life is of an opened packet, and no one has told me at my company." Or it may be that no one knows the shelf life.

But the idea that you need to use the entire packet is disturbing. If the powder does not divide easily, then that is a major problem. No where on the packaging does it say I NEED a 10 gallon tank to use the medication. The annoying thing is that instead of explaining, they just say, "Don't split it."

----

Dear Awed,

Thank you for contacting Sergeant's Pet Care Products. We appreciate hearing from our consumers and answering any questions you may have. Please be assured that quality products and customer satisfaction are our primary focus here at Sergeant’s Pet Care Products.

The shelf life of the Sentry AQ Mardel Maracyn Two is 2 years. There should be an EXP date stamped into the packets. This product is not labeled to be split or administered into a tank less than 10 gallons. Once a packet is opened, the entire packet should be administered into your aquarium.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to call us at 1-800-224-7387 or reply to this email. Thank you again for taking the time to contact Sergeant's Pet Care Products.

Kindest regards,

Name
Sergeant's Pet Care Products
Consumer Affairs Department
Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #4 
Sea Dragon

What you can do is dissolve the entire packet in 4 tablespoons of water, then use 1 tablespoon of that solution for 2.5 gallons. It's an accurate measurement I believe :) Downside is that you can't save the rest of the medicine.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #5 
Awed

That's a good idea Sea Dragon. If there is some kind of mixing aspect to the powder then this would genuinely be a better way of getting the medicine I need. I sent a reply to Sargeants asking for more info about why I can't split it (if this is the reason). But hopefully the 3 days of treatment I've already done are not for naught. I have the feeling that the powder is pretty uniform.

I'll use your method tonight.

We'll see what Sargeants says if my current treatment is not doable. If that were the case though, I bet they would say that you NEED to use the whole packet or two packets for a 20 gallon tank. They are pretty authoritative in their information slip. It would be nice to hear them explain what they think, from the horse's mouth.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 
Sea Dragon

Good luck! I think it would be fine since I used the same method for treating my betta in a 2.5 gallon with Maracyn-TC, but an extra opinion will probably be helpful :)
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #7 
Tobythefish

To make dosing easier, find a large 1 gallon jug and for each medication, fill with 5 cups of dechlorinated water and the dosage. Use 1/2 cup of this per gallon of tank water.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expire, shelf life