Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2012, 01:53 AM   #1 
SageMyster

Cool Opinions on divided tanks?

Hello! I'm Sage, and I currently own two very healthy boys, Harlot and Merlotte, who are each in their own individual 1gal Minibow tanks. Now before you worry, I do biweekly half-water changes, their temps are constantly monitored, pH levels intact, filtered water, proper feeding, and all the knowledge I have regarding Bettas are poured into my two lovlies, who are both known to make the occasional bubble nest. So although their tanks are on the smaller side, they are still happy and healthy (and old) fish.

While I know some of you may say they need bigger tanks, I'm currently living in a dormroom in which such is impossible. HOWEVER, I am, like the rest of you, an obsessed Betta enthusiast, and I would like to rescue two more.

This is where this tank I'm considering comes in. I figure if I leave the two new boys in their cups next to each other long enough, they'll adapt to each other's presence. Is this true? How affective are dividers ... specifically, Minibow dividers. This is the tank in question that I would like to purchase: http://www.petco.com/product/12351/A...t=OnSiteSearch

A tad bigger per fish than my other tanks too. What are you guys' opinions on the matter? I would love some advice! Thank you!
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #2 
Zero186

I use that tank in my dorm room for one of my guys. Mine did not come with the divider but based of the link and photo I don't the look of the divider in the tank. It seems almost too see through for both the guys to be comfortable and not always flaring at each other. I know some other people have had that issue with two males in that tank. This doesn't mean it cant be divided, and the divider it comes with might worth fine for your two new guys. But if they seem to aggressive and always just flaring at each other through the divider I would look into making your own. Dividers are some times a hit or miss with bettas, and its hard to know beforehand how your bettas will react to them.

As for the tank itself...I love it! I dont use the filter for it though. I changed out the crappy light bulb it came with for a CFL that you can pick up at Walmart fish section for around 5$, and it will allow most live plants to thrive. Thats a whole other adventure though. lol
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #3 
SageMyster

Thank you so much for your input, Zero! I was weary of the divider as well. I figure I'll put the two fish next to each other in their cups and let them adjust to each other before going in the tank. Again, thanks so much. (:
Old 03-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

go for it, but one of those for each betta, it stresses them to see each other EVEN if they dont flare. plus, a dog can survive in a dog crate all its life, but will it be comfortable? exactly. so one of those for each and ur good :)
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

If you are lacking in room, why not look at hexy tanks? :) They have a small footprint, but you still get a better volume of water. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #6 
SageMyster

Thanks, I'm looking into that now!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

If it were me, I would go with a 5 gallon tank and make my own divider - that way each fish gets about 2.5 gallons each. You can put decorations along the divider wall to break up the line of sight.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #8 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:

This is where this tank I'm considering comes in. I figure if I leave the two new boys in their cups next to each other long enough, they'll adapt to each other's presence. Is this true?
probably not.

Quote:
How affective are dividers ... specifically, Minibow dividers. This is the tank in question that I would like to purchase: http://www.petco.com/product/12351/A...t=OnSiteSearch

A tad bigger per fish than my other tanks too. What are you guys' opinions on the matter? I would love some advice! Thank you!
that tank is too small for my taste. There are 3-5 gal tanks that have a small footprint. you might want to look into that.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

get at least 3 gal im sayin...
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #10 
Aluyasha

I just wanted to add that I have had that type and size of tank but only with 1 betta in it. I have read some reviews about the divider for that tank and some have complained that smaller bettas can fit through the side of the divider. Personally I would not risk it.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote