Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #1 
LinkLover

Unhappy New owner a bit discouraged...

So a few days ago I got my first Betta, named Link (I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan), and was very excited to experience a new type of pet, as I've never even had my own fish at all. He has a ten gallon tank, a heater, a filter, plants, caves, and I even got a little leaf hammock for him today. The day after I brought him home, my boyfriend wanted to add a snail, so I looked it up and thought it would be fine. But the snail wasn't happy, and neither was Link. So, we got a separate tank for the snail (and added two more) and got all the necessary items for them as well. However... I have been way more interested in the snails than the Betta (lame, I know) and am really worried. Will I change my mind? Will I become more interested in Link as time goes by? He will get excellent care no matter what, I love all animals, but I was very disappointed that my excitement went away so quickly. I don't know what to do!
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

I get that way sometimes and I have tons of bettas (soon to be hundreds with my new spawns)! You will notice his personality and he will become a friend. During the first month they adjust to their new home and then they start to be themselves a bit.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #3 
LinkLover

Oh ok. That makes me more hopeful! He always comes up to the glass when I put my face there, which is also encouraging. I'm used to having furry pets, such as rats, hamsters, and I currently have a dog, so it's hard getting used to a pet I can't hold or play with. Thank you very much!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #4 
Sivan

It happens. You ended up with two new things at once, it can be hard to divide equal attention. As you care for him you're interest will pick up. Betta fish are beautiful creatures full of personality.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #5 
Leeniex

Mine crack me up. They really all have personalities.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #6 
Rosso1011

It may just take a little time. As the above users have mentioned, each betta has their own personality and if you spend time with them, you will begin to notice your betta's individual personality. I have two male bettas. One is more happy-go-lucky and the other is aggressive, but a goof as well. Another thing that may be of interest is keeping an eye out for a bubble nest. Bubble nests tells us that our guys are showing interest of breeding or maybe marking his territory (or so I've heard).
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #7 
Betta16

Make Feeding time into a game with him, like seeing if he well jump or swim from side to side. my mate felt like you do and once she saw me get some of mine to jump durnig there feeding she has started games with hers and they are super close now.
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I got bored of my one, for like a month. Still took care of him, just didn't really interact with him. Thought I was bored of fish, but I had a really bad day and watching him made me feel better, and now I've gone nuts about them again. :D
Try putting things infront of his tank, making him chase your finger, try a new food like blood worms or brine shrimp.. You'll get to know them better that way and feel closer :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #9 
arin

I'v had my first betta for about 3 weeks now. I was like you and always had furry pets. but my daughter has alligeries to them so we got her fish for her b-day and i got my betta. it is alot different but it can be just as rewarding. My little guy even has his own little ways of showing affection.
arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #10 
LinkLover

Wow thanks you guys! That really helps a lot. I have tried getting him to come get food from me, but he likes to wait until it sinks to eat it. I hope that over time that will change. Do you have any suggestions on how to get him started with little games like that? He is brand new, so I'm sure he's getting used his new house, but I want to start doing that stuff as soon as possible so we can start being friends. :)