Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #21 
ANHEL123

I have 10 bettas and my husband was not interested in them. He just didn't care ... But as more he see them the more interested he is. He is feeding them in the morning and it very cute to see how excited they get … And one time i put one of them upstairs in bedroom and it really calm your down if you stressed. Even my husband was watching him.

Never had bettas before but now I am abscessed , and i hope you will too lol
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #22 
PaintingPintos

When I got Omelette, I was -SO- excited! I went to the pet store, and despite the pitiful selection (half were dead, most were blue, 2 were red, and the live ones has terrible fin rot and cottony abscesses) I chose little Omelette. I watched him for maybe an hour a day, and eventually the obsession grew old. But not really. I kept him on the dining room table, because it was always over 70 degrees in the room. When I ate my meals, I sat in front of his tank. He would swim over and watch me. If I put my finger up to the tank, he would follow it. He got bolder every day, and eventually he started nipping his tail fin (boredom of a 1 gallon tank!!) so I moved him to a 3 gallon critter keeper-type enclosure. I also bought a nice, silk plant, added several anacharis sprigs from the goldfish tank, lots of pretty blue glass gravel, a hidey-hole mug, a moss ball, a heater, an air pump, and even 3 shrimp.
His tank is on a little book shelf next to my bed. I love it there! He always watches me and it's fun to watch him interact and "play" in the tank!!
Though recently when I displayed Brock the shimp at the science fair, I ended up giving him to my shrimp-friendly friend who had no aquarium pets. And today Omelette (what a PIG) ate Misty the biggest shrimp. Way to pick on somebody your own size!!
Nothing is every dull with Omelette and his (now 1) ghost shrimp friend. Even the shrimp are fun to watch. The poke around through the plants, eat, swim around, and generally are cute.
You'll get interested again, it'll just take time!!
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #23 
ANHEL123

So cute :)
Old 04-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #24 
Sheldon31

I've just started doing more with Kyon. He seems used to me now, doesn't hide when I put my finger on the glass so tonight I wet my finger with his tank water (make sure your hands are uber clean before doing this and no soap!) and pressed my finger onto a pellet. and then put my finger in the tank and he went to take it off my finger! The pellet came off my finger and began to sink but i did this with another and again he came straight to my finger. I plan on doing this every evening apart from fridays which is fast day, and saturday which is frozen bloodworm day. It's a bit of bonding :)
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

Just want to let you know bettas are good jumpers so be careful when you feed from the finger. Also it really better don't let the food sink to the bottom of the tank. And always remove uneaten food. If food stay on the bottom it will decontaminate in 48-72 hrs and contaminate the water.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #26 
LinkLover

I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone! I try to get his attention before feeding him, but he doesn't go near the food until it's either sinking or already at the bottom. I watch him eat it though, and so far there hasn't been any leftovers. But I'm TRYING to get him to eat it from the top, although it's not working out yet. And ok, I'll try with my finger first, and then if that doesn't work the stick. And I always wash my hands well, I'm super paranoid about making sure nobody gets sick!
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #27 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Don't wash your hands with soap, it's bad if it gets into the water. Just rinse them off well before putting your hands in :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #28 
LinkLover

Oh I never use soap, don't worry. That is like the one thing I knew about fish. Hahaha.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

What brand of the pellets are you feeding him? Some pellets are float and it easier to feed. He will eventually follow the finger ...Some pellet sink to the bottom right away.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #30 
LinkLover

I feed him Aqueon pellets. I think they are probably sinking because I'm tapping the water to get his attention. But otherwise he doesn't notice them.