Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #1 
LuckyBlue

temperature fluctuations

Is a temperature fluctuation up and down between 78 and 84 in a 2 gallont tank acceptable?
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 
bahamut285

It depends on how rapidly it occurs. If it is over an hour then NO that is not acceptable and is potentially stressful. Is it your heater that is acting up or your home's natural temperature fluctuations due to the absence of a heater?

Either way, I personally don't like seeing visible changes in aquarium temperatures.

As a temporary solution before you can get a new heater or a heater in general to stabilize the temperature, wrapping the top of the tank with plastic wrap and poking holes in it will help keep in some heat...however 84 IMHO is a bit high.

What do you believe is causing the temperature fluctuations? Probably a better question to ask. XD

Is it by a window? Sun? Central Air? Fan? Open Hallway?

Last edited by bahamut285; 04-03-2012 at 01:15 PM.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Try avoiding next to windows and drafty doors/passages :) although in an unheated tank, a fluctuation like that over the day and night is usual to see...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E.... the gradual temp fluctuations over a period of time are generally tolerated by a healthy Betta-be it due to day and night temp or the varied temp within the tanks different levels that are normal...... especially in tanks without water movement and under objects in the tank.

In my tanks the temp can vary by near 10 degrees at different levels especially under plants-I don't use filtration and/or water movement in my tanks 10gal and under and even with the fry I have not had any problems

In the summer the Bettas I keep outside and their eggs/fry have tolerated well over 100F and high 50F short term-with day, night and rain causing both gradual and sudden temp swings without issues, however, my Bettas may be tougher than most and I do feel that overall general heath, age, genetics and diet has a big role in how well a Betta can tolerate temp swings both gradual and sudden-be it extreme or slight....

Sudden extreme temp fluctuations can be stressful even for a healthy Betta-that said-most can still tolerate it without any long term effect, however, it not recommended and should be avoided if at all possible.

Bettas are a lot more tolerant of temps than they are given credit for IMO/E....of course this can vary based on several factors......overall health, age, diet and genetics....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #5 
LuckyBlue

He isn't near a window or vent. He does have a 7.5 watt heater. The fluctuation I think is due to the lid, even though the heater cord prevent it from fitting tightly the water warms up when on... then I take it off cuz I think it is too warm and it cools down... this happened over a number of hours, not quickly.

If 85 is not too warm, then I can just leave the lid on and it will maintain that. Is 85 the top end of comfort for him? If I leave the lid off it will be around 74.

Anymore help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

My bettas tend to be about 78-82 degrees. Some people say don't go pass 80... but generally since they don't need a wack load of oxygen in the water (warm water = less oxygen) 80-86 is fine. I had no problems last year with my fish tanks in the summer being at 90+. I don't evn remember anyone getting a disease or getting sick.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #7 
bahamut285

If it STAYS at 85F with the lid ON then it should be fine. Bettas are capable of adapting to higher/lower temperatures granted it is not sudden. Stability is much more important than a "perfect temperature" however outrageous temperatures can cause some problems.

However I'm curious as to how your lid can keep in THAT much heat. Maybe just prop it open rather than removing it completely? Try that, perhaps?

As for no illnesses at 90F, unless there is some sort of new kind of pathogenic hyperthermophile, you won't be seeing any sick fish. The high temperatures would cause either cellular damage (which you can't see) or would temporarily increase the toxicity of ammonia...which would be countered by water changes and plants. Also I'm pretty sure it is well over 90F in Thailand during their dry season.

Last edited by bahamut285; 04-03-2012 at 04:31 PM.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #8 
cajunamy
Banned

He will likely be just fine at 85. Higher temps do equal higher metabolism, which translates to shorter life spans.

Do you have an incandescent light over the tank or something for it to stay so hot? If so you need a florescent light so there is minimal to zero heat put out by the light. Incandescent bulbs are notorious for putting out heat and temp fluctuations.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #9 
LuckyBlue

Here is a picture of my 2 gallon container. It is heavy glass, along with the lid... so maybe it just keeps the heat in better. I found it in glassware at Walmart. I'll figure out something to even out the temp. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #10 
kfryman

Wait is there an air hole?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote