Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #11 
LuckyBlue

Is that the problem? There isn't a hole, but the heater cord keeps it from closing.. too much sauna?? I have propped the lid open now about a half inch..
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #12 
kfryman

Yeah keep it open a bit, or even off. 75 isn't all that cold, just have the lid either propped open more than just by the cord or keep it off.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

yikes! I know those containers... you neede to allow air circulation, especially since bettas prefer having that air Glass does keep heat in better, although it explains why the temperature changes drastically from lid on to lid off... glass does that - especially in bowls or containers. Or, so I found.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #14 
LuckyBlue

Thanks everyone... I guess I only put the lid on because people were saying they can jump out.....
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Yes they can I had one tank, a 1 gallon with a lid. The lid had a handle, but I flipped it over so the handle propped the lid up :) Never had him jump out! And Finicky loved to jump. And make me buy 4 different kinds of food
Old 04-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #16 
bahamut285

Create a make-shift lid with plastic wrap and poked holes. Then you can just make a bigger hold for the heater cord to pass through. It will also create a natural sauna in which the air will be humidified which is healthy for their labyrinth organ. The plastic wrap will also allow for a natural, controlled gas exchange with the outside atmosphere.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

I use plastic wrap for breeding and spawning, and raising fry =D humidity is great for them.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #18 
bahamut285

How DID your spawn turn out, Sena?
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Maine's and Madame spawned real well, and 3 (of course the biggest) survived :/ another spawn did about the same, and it's not that bad finding bettas homes here xD

they were not great, but I'm in a better situation now to try again xD I've got 2 gals with some nice VT finnage (yeah, I know, VT is too common), and 2 males to choose from. One of which I found is a marble o_O no longer yellow... the other is a deep red. :) This time from a completely different store, and Big Red was shipped. I love him :3 Him, the other male, and the two females are being conditioned. This time... I'll be doing things slightly different.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 04-04-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #20 
LuckyBlue

Thanks for the help and suggestions. It took me a while to figure out what to prop the lid open with that wouldn't kill him if it fell in. Finally, i came upon a wooden spoon. My lid is propped up and the temp is staying at 78. I may play with it a little and see if i can get it to stay at 80. Thanks again.