Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #21 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBlue View Post
He isn't near a window or vent. He does have a 7.5 watt heater. The fluctuation I think is due to the lid, even though the heater cord prevent it from fitting tightly the water warms up when on... then I take it off cuz I think it is too warm and it cools down... this happened over a number of hours, not quickly.

If 85 is not too warm, then I can just leave the lid on and it will maintain that. Is 85 the top end of comfort for him? If I leave the lid off it will be around 74.

Anymore help would be appreciated.
you should be shooting for about 82f. i would suggest getting a heater with a thermostat. that way it knows when to turn off. you can get a more powerful heater that is small sized for the tank. it will still hit the temp you set.

if you have cord problems and your tank is acrylic, you can heat a screwdriver over the stove until it gets orange. carefully make a slot for the heater cord to fit through. use wire nippers to clear off the flash and it will look professional.

anyways, here's a good small heater
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

78-82 is a safe zone. 78 or 80 is just fine. I up it to 82-86 breeding or illness times....that's it.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #23 
Bombalurina

I'm unable to prevent my tanks heating as high as 85F in the summer, so I wouldn't be worried with it being as high as 85.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #24 
Sena Hansler

Nope Mine can reach 90 degrees, WITHOUT sun. at all. Not kidding. I had my blinds down, didn't use the tank lights and preset all heaters to 76 so it wouldn't drop too much. Instead the tanks were 90 during the day (with air circulation in the room and not closing the door of the bedroom) and next morning it'd be 80.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #25 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Nope Mine can reach 90 degrees, WITHOUT sun. at all. Not kidding. I had my blinds down, didn't use the tank lights and preset all heaters to 76 so it wouldn't drop too much. Instead the tanks were 90 during the day (with air circulation in the room and not closing the door of the bedroom) and next morning it'd be 80.

that is a dangerous temp. you should get fans for your hood
Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #26 
Sena Hansler

It's not as dangerous as you think. To me, dangerous is dropping below 68 degrees. 74, really.. If you ask some of the people on here, theirs can reach 100, and some are kept outdoors/indoors/bred/not bred.

And do you have the money for fans for me? I wish I did. xD I had to get tanks, plus filters separately already, along with some other things just for my fish. And I cannot find fans anywhere here anyways. I use regular fans that people can use too :p two birds, one stone. Plus I now have a basement where the fish can be cooled down. That's their room.... downstairs, spare room Facing away from the afternoon/night sun ^^

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 04-06-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #27 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:

And do you have the money for fans for me? I wish I did. xD I had to get tanks, plus filters separately already, along with some other things just for my fish. And I cannot find fans anywhere here anyways. I use regular fans that people can use too :p two birds, one stone. Plus I now have a basement where the fish can be cooled down. That's their room.... downstairs, spare room Facing away from the afternoon/night sun ^^
you can get the fans out of old computer power supplies and use those. talk to your local computer guy. i'm sure he has tons of them in a closet like i have.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

I do not know anything about rigging a computer fan to a tank, and I don't think I'd want it running off of my tank's hood Our "local computer" guy/s would still make me pay an arm and a leg for fans. Trust me. It sucks here.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #29 
Oldfishlady

You can also use those small battery operated fans that hang around your neck for a couple of dollars-I see them all the time at wally world in the summer months and some made to use in your car that has clips on them would work even better to clip on the side of the tank and point across the water to help cool the water......just a thought.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

that might work hopefully Dollarama has those :o by summer time anyways lol.